Tablet for University Note Taking

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by canada2010, Apr 5, 2008.

1. canada2010 macrumors newbie

I have a new Macbook Pro (2008) and I am going to university next year.

I would like to buy an external tablet to take lecture notes so that I am able to write text and draw diagrams, etc.

What is a good tablet for me to buy so I could take notes in a calculus lecture for example, to be able to convert my handwriting to printed text and leave my diagrams as they are?

Are there any programs for mac that will also enable me to do this?

Basically I want to write notes and I want the MBP to convert my notes to text so they are easier to read.

2. thebrain74 macrumors regular

First off let me tell you that I am at uni write now with both a MBP and a tablet. I take math notes by hand, but to be fair I have never tried the tablet for it. The MBP is big enough that it along with my books I usually don't feel like carrying around a tablet.

I'm not sure what to tell you for the handwriting recognition bit, I am sure there is a program for this kind of thing (I know apple has Inkwell built in but it never worked well for me and I don't think its ideal for mixed diagrams and writing). I think this is definately one area (as much as I hate to say it) where windows shows better in its tablet PC system. For a tablet I suggest one of the wacom series, they are pretty much the de facto standard for tablets. On the cheap (assuming college...) is the wacom bamboo and the bamboo fun. The bamboo fun comes in a 6X8 size which is what I use in the Intuos 3 line and I think is a good design. The intuos 3 line is a step up in specs but also in price. A good coincidence though is that the footprint of the 6X8 is almost exactly that of the 15'' MBP so they fit together nicely in a bag. Another choice if you don't wont to deal with the cable in class is the graphire BT bluetooth model. The want not to deal with the cable is legitimate as the tablets are often made for flexible working setups (re: long cables)

I hope this helps, but I cannot fully answer your questions as I use my Intuos for graphics and drawing instead of notes

3. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I agree on the Wacom Bamboo using Inkwell, but I would also consider inkBook. Good luck. :)

4. canada2010 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I ordered the Wacom Bluetooth tablet from Best Buy (in canada)... so I'll let you guys know how it works...

does anyone know of anymore programs (for windows or mac, I'm running bootcamp) to convert handwriting to text but not convert my diagrams.

Also, how do I handwrite on a PDF with a tablet?