tablet/netbook introduction soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by itsmeok, Jun 11, 2009.

1. itsmeok macrumors member

This WWDC, Apple modified their macbook pro line up to include a 13" notebook, i.e., essentially pushed the existing unibody AL 13" macbook into their macbook pro line up. This is a pretty good addition to the pro line-up considering the price points from the consumer point of view.

But from Apple's perspective, they now have only the white plastic 13" notebook in their macbook line-up. I don't see a point in limiting the macbook "line-up" to only the base model, unless Apple is either planning to discontinue or upgrade that "line-up".

This begs the question: Is Apple planning to introduce the netbook/tablet or some form of touch screen based 13" notebook soon? If so, are they planning on adding this to the macbook line-up?

It would be pretty sweet if they introduce a touch-screen, key-board less 10-13" notebook / netbook. I guess they can do one of the three things:
    • discontinue the white book and call the new netbook as the macbook
    • keep the white book and add the new netbook to the existing macbook line-up, or
    • start a new line-up for netbooks while keeping or discontinuing macbook line-up.

Thoughts?

2. federikk macrumors newbie

yesss...

MacBook: still on 13"
    MacBook Mini: about 10/11,6"
    MacBook Touch: 9"

the 11,6" screen (hd ready 16/9) that is for example on acer 751 can only be installed on Intel z500 Atom series processors becouse of a microsoft licence iussue, but apple could use it with excellent Atom N280, for example.

Thoughts?

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The Intel Atom has no place in an Apple computer unless it's paired with the nVidia Ion platform, and that's hard to come by at the moment at least.

That's my thought.

4. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Safe to say they will introduce something new. No reason to leave the white macbook there by itself.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Maybe that's what you're waiting for ;)

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I highly doubt I'd replace a Core2Duo machine with an Atom machine, lol....

7. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Actually I meant to say maybe that's what they're waiting for. Maybe once the Ion platform is more widely available Apple will put it to good use.:D

9. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I don't believe Apple is clearing out the Macbook name space to put a tablet there. If a Mac tablet comes out it will have some high-falutin' snazzy new moniker, as is Apple's marketing strategy.

And the new 13" "MBP" also got a price reduction, making it harder to put a tablet in the price structure.

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Ah, that makes much more sense :D

That could be it, especially since it'd unify all their computers around the 9400M for open CL support.

11. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Apple said they didn't like the "netbook" so they will change the landscape with the "Macbook".;)

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I agree. I think a 10" MacBook and 13" MacBook would be a likely next step. I'm not sure what they'll look like, since I simply don't see Apple doing a new plastic product now that they've mastered the unibody design, but I could be wrong.

But yeah, as it stands the MacBook lineup doesn't make much sense. It basically just comprises of a MacBook ProLite...

13. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

i do agree. but maybe they will want to seperate the macbook look and make a sleeker plastic (white) macbook design. Maybe as thin as the aluminum but in white plastic. OR this can be when apple introduces the Anodized Black Aluminum Macbook :eek: . Maaybe idk

14. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

the plastic macbooks are prone to too many problems to keep it. The only reason why they are keeping it is because they are stalling. Apple has already admitted that yes it cracks and they will fix it. Why would they want to keep a product they know is defective and will have to go through the costs of repairing for free?

The Tablet will be cut from aluminum and sold at the same price. No more whitebook and no more plastic.

15. Undo Redo macrumors 6502

I really hope Apple doesn't bother with a tablet. A little bit larger iPod touch might be nice. The MacBooks should remain as laptop style computers with full keyboards, IMO. Perhaps a 12" model aluminum with a few color choices is what Apple has in mind, ranging in price from $899 to 1099. Who knows, but I'll be shocked if Apple puts out a 10" tablet.

Because a tablet won't fit in your pocket and provides little benefit over an iPod or a laptop. It would have to be held constantly to be viewed and typing with two hands would be difficult. A slightly bigger touch would still fit in most pockets and be easier to use than the current one.

16. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

17. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Personal preference I'm sure, but I don't see anything there to recommend it. It looks big and bulky to carry around, clumsy to enter text/type on, with a screen susceptible to scratches and damage. If I were looking for a device of that size, I would much prefer a netbook.

18. Undo Redo macrumors 6502

I can see how you might like one of those, particularly if you need to draw things with a stylus or finger; or walk around operating it while standing up.

The onscreen keyboard which uses half the screen and is hard to type on and the funky kickstand rather than a typical laptop hinge are negatives in my mind.

19. puffnstuff macrumors 65816