Tablet=StarTrek

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Opstech, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

When I was a kid watching StarTrek TNG with my dad, I thought the tablets those guys were carrying around was neat. All of their information was on there. Job, issues, reports, manifests, etc... I compare it to the iPhone more than the 10" tablet, but this is a futuristic time. It just reminds me of that show

It would be called the iTrek

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The devices in Star Trek (TNG, DS9, VOY) were called PADDs and had a small amount of storage on themselves, but had access to just about anything on the Ships computer through wireless networking. I was just remarking to a friend how cool it would be if the Apple Tablet worked similarly to them, including having voice recognition software like MacSpeech Dictate built-in.

TEG

3. Opstech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Opstech

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Even though I'm on the "old" 3G still, I still quite frequently get that feeling like I'm actually holding the future when using my iPhone. No we don't have our flying cars, but we do have the iPhone. :D

5. MTI macrumors 65816

The success of the early Moto "flip phones" must give a nod to all those guy wanting to be Capt Kirk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just remember, you don't want to be one of those crew members in the red shirts . . . :D

6. mkelly macrumors regular

Yes, I'm hoping for something similar on the tablet. It could not only access resources on the net, but on your home computer network - sort of your own personal computing cloud.

I get a little tingly when I think about the combination of a tablet + Back to my Mac functionality. I work remotely a lot, and being able to access and manipulate data on my home systems is *very* appealing.

7. frimple macrumors 6502

Funny you mention private clouds. The concept is gaining quite some steam with big players in the virtualization industry. Albiet that at this point it's still talked about at an enterprise level, but I could totally envision slim devices (tablet, HTPC, phone, workstation) being placed in front of each node in the house and relaying back to the private "home" cloud.

8. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

I just hope the design is a little less 80's...

[​IMG]

;)

9. danlovaj macrumors regular

Maybe some day these PADDs will be dirt cheap and interchangeable. Kinda like how usb thumb drives are now. I can picture putting my report on a PADD-like device and turning it in when it is due.

[​IMG]

10. WonderSausage macrumors member

WonderSausage

in THE FUTURE, yellow, orange and violet will be the most popular text colors.

11. Hmac macrumors 68020

I think a more accurate expression of the iPad was written by Arthur C. Clarke in 2001:A Space Odyssey when he prognosticated the "Newspad".

12. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I had the exact same thought: A Tablet Scattershot.

So you'll know, Steve Jobs is 50-something, and he watched the same shows. That's exactly where he got his iPad inspiration.

13. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

Whoever makes the first Star Trek PADD app for the ipad will make alot of money I think. I can just see every Trekkie out there buying an ipad just to get the Star Trek app and make themselves look like they are in the Star Trek universe.

14. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Then he slyly waited for decades, through the release of hundreds of tablet computers, to spring his inspiration on an eagerly waiting world...

15. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Agreed about 2001, but has anyone else watched Bones? In that one of the lab techies has something that is vey iPad like which she uses with a 3D hologram type display.

16. mstrze macrumors 68000

Unless your name is Scotty.:D

17. Hmac macrumors 68020

People, let's not get Padd's confused with TriCorders. No good could come of that.

18. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

He waited until the right technology was available at a price he thought he could sell it for. I don't think the iPad is quite the PADD yet. It could be thinner, lighter, cheaper, and also auto-sync with every other PC in the house.

19. zemzabob macrumors regular

zemzabob