Tablet Suggestions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FriantAustinC, Apr 19, 2018.

  1. FriantAustinC macrumors newbie


    Mar 30, 2016

    Just need some suggestions on a tablet. What I would like to get is the iPad Pro 10 inch, but I am nervous as I dont want to spend that much and then a new version come out soon after. Would you suggest I take the plunge and get that one, or go with some cheaper tablet until a new version of the pro is announced? I am not exactly interested in the “new” iPad due to the screen gap and 1st gen touch ID. It also doesnt have promotion or truetone. Not sure what to do here, any advice would be helpful. Thanks!!
  2. JGWolven macrumors regular

    Oct 10, 2013
    No reason to not wait a couple more months. New iPads should be released or at the very least announced, prices will drop on existing iPads, and you'll have more options to consider. I'm in a similar boat and I can't think of a better argument for anything else.
  3. sracer macrumors 604


    Apr 9, 2010
    Those are all just rumors and wishful thinking at this point. There were some who were sure there would be new Pro models announced in March. (obviously didn't happen) Still others think that new iPad Pros will be announced in June. Others in Oct. There are a few, like myself, who don't think new models will be announced until March 2019.

    What will you do if nothing is announced in June, wait until Oct? And if nothing in Oct?

    At some point it becomes an "in for a penny, in for a pound" scenario. The longer one waits, the more invested they are in continuing to wait. And if someone can wait 6 months to a year, how much do they really need or want one?

    All three models (Mini 4 doesn't count) are terrific devices. I recommend buying the model that one wants as soon as there's a sale (there seems to be regular sales every 2-3 weeks) and enjoy it.
  4. JGWolven macrumors regular

    Oct 10, 2013
    I think Apple iPad releases have been fairly consistent in terms of having a new product out roughly every year. If I had to take an educated guess on when they may announce it, I would say WWDC would be the most likely time.

    I don't think it's likely we would have no update to any existing iPads by October when Apple is gearing up for their prime quarter. I think in this scenario, someone holding out is closer to the end of having a new product than the other way around.
  5. rui no onna, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018

    rui no onna macrumors 603

    rui no onna

    Oct 25, 2013
    There are often sales on the 64GB Wi-Fi model. However, if one wants a tricked out 512GB LTE model, not many deals on those that are not tied to 2-year contract.

    Personally, if I had bought a 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9 256GB LTE for $1229 (+10% tax) back in November 2016 or March 2017, I would've been extremely frustrated at not having waited when the 2nd gen was released. Particularly so considering the change in storage tiers really knocked down the resale/trade-in value of the 256GB models.
  6. ericwn macrumors 68020

    Apr 24, 2016
    There are just rumours at this stage and they are all over the place. Nobody here has a clue when new iPad Pros will show up and Apple’s releases for iPads are not always easy to predict.

    If you don’t want to wait, get a current model at a discounted price and use it until the new one is released.
  7. rui no onna macrumors 603

    rui no onna

    Oct 25, 2013
    If it's only meant to be a stopgap/temporary measure while waiting for newer models, is the lack of those features that big a deal?

    Personally, if I didn't already have an iPad, I'd get either the Pro 10.5 and just keep it, or spend as little as possible on a temp one (maybe 2017 iPad or even Air 2 if the air gap is a deal breaker for ~$200-250).
  8. CharlesShaw macrumors 6502a


    May 8, 2015
    Thank you (!) for inspiring me to spend even less than the 2018 for my stopgap. Today I bought an open-box 2017 iPad for $232 at Micro Center. It’s in perfect condition, has 51 weeks left of Apple’s warranty, and I have 15 days to return it in the very unlikely event that I change my mind.

    This is perfect for me because it’s so cheap but it still meets my modest needs AND lacks many pro features that I can continue to daydream about while waiting for the eventual IPP refresh/update(s).
  9. cwerdna, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018

    cwerdna macrumors 6502

    Jan 19, 2005
    SF Bay Area, California
    Regarding the bolded items, are those really important or a big deal?

    When the 6th gen iPad came out last month, I was almost certain I was going to buy that as an upgrade from my iPad Air 32 gig. But, I'd need to go for the $429 128 gig as I keep my tablets a long time and feel 32 gigs might not be enough.

    I also considered refurb from Apple 5th gen iPads ( which are currently $309 for 128 gigs.

    But then I looked at some benchmarks and specs. 5th gen iPad (2017) was based on the A9, which we saw on the iPhone 6S and isn't that new now. 6th gen iPad (2018) is based upon the A10 that we saw on the iPhone 7. Well, I already have an iPhone 8, so that already should be faster than the 6th gen iPad. iPad Pro 10.5" is faster than 6th gen.

    I got Staples to price match Micro Center who had the 64 gig iPad Pro 10.5" for $499, so that sealed the deal for me. 64 gigs should be enough storage. I couldn't care less about any the things you bolded in the 10.5" Pro and that played 0 role in my decision.

    But yes, as others have said, it's unclear when the Pros will get bumped/updated. June at WWDC? October? March 2019? Beats me. It's not like iPhone which is predictable (intros have been in September for a long time).

Share This Page