Tablet upgrade

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Arabinthemist, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Arabinthemist macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I posted a topic like this in the ipad section, but I decided to keep my mind open instead of picking just one type of tablet.

I'm really only looking into either android or iOS, with a budget of £600.
    If it helps I have a samsung galaxy s4, but my computers run mountain lion.

I'd be using my ipad mainly for general use, like movies, apps and websurfing, but the odd time I may take it to school to take notes.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

For what you are using a tablet for why do you need to upgrade your iPad - it sounds adequate to your needs. Save yourself the money. £600 will come in handy at Uni.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it doesn't sound like you need to upgrade based on what you do with it. Save the money.

4. strausd macrumors 68030

If you are looking for a full sized tablet to mess around with, I would recommend waiting for the new Nexus 10 and see if it tickles your fancy.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

6. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Is the op saying he already has a tablet and is considering upgrading or are you in the market for a tablet?

7. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

Sell it and upgrade to Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 LTE.

Take Notes with the S-Pen while watching a Movie/TV Show using TouchWiz's MultiWindow or Pop-Up Video.

Samsung is turning into Apple with it's Bland Design and Cheap Build BUT these three exclusive features MAKE UP for it.

8. Arabinthemist thread starter macrumors newbie

I think there was some misunderstanding, I'm looking to get a new tablet, as I already have an iPad 2, which I would give to my brother. My parents are paying for the tablet since it's my birthday. They told me that as long it wasn't ridiculously expensive >650. So yeah, still the question, is it worth switching to android, or wait for the ipad 5?

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

With that being the case, wait a few weeks for the iPad to be shown. Figure sometime in late october.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Still sounds like your upgrading for the sake of upgrading if your needs are what are listed in your opening post.

Seriously I'd save the £ and use it whilst at uni / college. It might not be as exciting as getting a new gadget, but if you get stuck at uni for any reason - waiting for grants - unexpected bills - the £ saved from upgrading a new ipad - could make a big difference to your circumstances.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I agree with this. I have an ipad 2 and it still runs just fine and it is getting IOS 7 (even it is will be missing some features). I plan on upgrading to the mini when it gets a retina display, but it sounds like you use your ipad similar to me, and I do not think you will feel any performance difference by upgrading.

12. Arabinthemist, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013

Arabinthemist thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, if I were to rephrase the question, in a hypothetical case, if you could choose which ever mainstream tablet, which one would it be?

Also, my parents wouldn't hand me £650, not in my bank account either. That's kind of why I was wondering what to spend it on. I don't mean to sound like a spoilt brat at all, if I came across like that I genuinely apologise. My parents just told me since I did well in school and got the grades they wanted, as well as it being my birthday, they would treat me with a nice gift :).

13. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

if it is used for uni then i would go for the galaxy note 8.0.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well if it was for me personally, then I'd wait for iPad 5, iPad mini 2 retina and failing those I'd wait for the Note 8 [2.0] which knowing Samsung will likely appear sometime before christmas to challenge the new iPads this holiday season.

15. jamojamo macrumors 6502

This is exactly what I would do in your shoes OP. It's also what I am doing (with my own money) :( although I will probably buy a retina iPad mini because I just want a little more screen space than my Nexus 7 gives me. To me 8" is the sweet spot of portability and screen real estate.

My guess is Samsung will up the screen on their Note 8 to be on par with the Nexus/presumed retina mini.