Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I recently read an article on lowendmac.com, and I can't find the exact one, but I remember it said something along the lines of this:

"I can no longer recommend G3's and slower G4's due to the fact that now that tablets are out, there is already a market for cheap and dependable machines for light internet usage and basic tasks."

I can partly agree with this, but I have many objections, and many of them are obvious. Am I missing some kind of point?

Last edited:

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Tablets are a little more expensive than a PowerPC, but a lot better at doing average user tasks (Facebook, email, web, video playback, Netflix...) The hardware is also faster.

You loose a bit (like old pro apps), but aside from that, I'd have to agree.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Tablets are a little more expensive than a PowerPC, but a lot better at doing average user tasks (Facebook, email, web, video playback, Netflix...) The hardware is also faster.

Yeah, for that it's better, and I agree on that completely.

One thing that I forgot to bring up though, is that even with it's lower performance, it's still a full computer, which tablets almost always aren't. (Sorry, I was about to edit my initial post to include it, but my browser won't let me)

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Depends what you define "full computer" by. It supports keyboards. It has video out. It can import from cameras.

(Edit: Referring to the iPad, obviously.)

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Not for me they haven't. My 12" Powwerbook and G5 still see a lot more use than my HP TouchPad (which I consider to be an excellent tablet) just because i still prefer a real keyboard and mouse interface along with a traditional computer file system. For screwing around online, maybe the tablets have a slight edge, but if I want to sit down with some spreadsheets & listen to music, I'll pass on the tablet anytime.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
For screwing around online, maybe the tablets have a slight edge, but if I want to sit down with some spreadsheets & listen to music, I'll pass on the tablet anytime.

Eh. Tablets can do both those things as well with a keyboard.

Screen is slightly smaller than the 12" Powerbook, but I can see why pro users would prefer a G5 over an iPad. For an more average user though? It would be a tough sell.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Eh. Tablets can do both those things as well with a keyboard.

Screen is slightly smaller than the 12" Powerbook, but I can see why pro users would prefer a G5 over an iPad. For an more average user though? It would be a tough sell.
An average user wouldn't even bother with (or know about) a PowerPC Mac. They'd go straight for the iPad.

yanksrock100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2010
San Diego
I have an android tablet and an iBook g3. They both can do simlilar things, but i use my tablet for youtube and music more (since on google music it doesnt take up storage as opposed to the Mac)
Web browsing speeds are almost identical.

For some reason, however, I enjoy the Book ALOT more. Its just a nice machine, even though its old, it does what any average user needs.....just like a tablet.

However, I spent $65 on the iBook and $300 on the Tablet....hmmm....

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Im guessing the average tablet user has no idea about older ppc...

ps: you can buy a good cheap android tablet for about $70 at merimobiles...

i personally have a rimm $199 tablet and really like it...however i would never consider it a replacement for my ibook/powerbook's...

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
A tablet is, like some have pointed out nothing like the "real deal" - with keyboard, mouse and other physical treats. I don't really understand the reasoning behind it, a product should be seen as definately obsolete because another does it equally or slightly better? Hm...

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
It's tough, an Apple refurb iPad is $350. You can find Android tablets of similar power refurb for $250 without issues.. the used market will be even cheaper for them. Soon a slew of 7" tablets will be released, possibly with Quad Cores for about $200. A lot of these will do tasks better than a lot of PPC computers, but they also can't do some things a PPC computer can.

Tablets aren't great at multitasking, even Android ones. You can only do one app at a time. Browsing, having an IM program, and taking notes.. something a G3 iBook could do (albeit somewhat slowly in the browsing department) is a nightmare on tablets.

It's also about form factor, a touchpad and keyboard are a hell of a lot more productive IMO than fingers. Sure, you can get a bluetooth keyboard and trackpad/mouse but I'm not sure how you plan to sit on your couch and do that. Those transformer tablets would be a good compromise though.. albeit again it doesn't fix the OS's multitasking issues.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
A tablet is, like some have pointed out nothing like the "real deal" - with keyboard, mouse and other physical treats. I don't really understand the reasoning behind it, a product should be seen as definately obsolete because another does it equally or slightly better? Hm...

It's not raw processing power. The different App stores force developers to recode their software specifically, so there's probably going to be a lot of great, potentially important software that you can never find for those other ones. And it's harder to find software that can replace those for non-tablet devices, and chances are you'll build up a lot of costs over time. And freedom is a major advantage of PPCs as well.

pistooli

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
Hungary
It's not raw processing power. The different App stores force developers to recode their software specifically, so there's probably going to be a lot of great, potentially important software that you can never find for those other ones. And it's harder to find software that can replace those for non-tablet devices, and chances are you'll build up a lot of costs over time. And freedom is a major advantage of PPCs as well.

I concur. Even more so reading it and replying from Tapatalk mobile app.

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal

An average user wouldn't even bother with (or know about) a PowerPC Mac. They'd go straight for the iPad.

The price of the "new ipad" can get you even a white macbook.
Of course there are some of the cheap android tablets out there for the price of an ibook g3.
But as said, for the average user even a cheap tablet will be a better buy than a powerpc, because almost everything works out of the box.

Not for me they haven't. My 12" Powwerbook and G5 still see a lot more use than my HP TouchPad (which I consider to be an excellent tablet) just because i still prefer a real keyboard and mouse interface along with a traditional computer file system. For screwing around online, maybe the tablets have a slight edge, but if I want to sit down with some spreadsheets & listen to music, I'll pass on the tablet anytime.

I guess for the more "non average users" a 1Ghz+ G4 and a G5 aren't going to be traded for a tab, they can do things that the tab doesn't.

If we had some apps of the tabs "ported" to powerpc I guess they could live longer, for example tapatalk =)

Once again it all depends on who uses the the pad or the powerpc computer =)
My g4 won't be traded for any tab.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
When you can now run something like OnLive Desktop on a tablet, it's no different to a real computer. Just get a keyboard and mouse and you're all set really. You also have Mini vMac which is the closest you'll get on the Mac side of things (for now).

Multitasking is now coming a reality with things like LilyPad HD showing up on Android. There's also a browser and video floating app too.

You guys should be happy that you don't have the Mac App Store to be honest. It's a very easy place to get lost in and blow off tons of money with games and apps. I honestly am having a hard time with being tempted to shell out $100 on games I could get for cheaper on a iPad/tablet and/or wouldn't care about otherwise.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
sad, but the pay version has 1 (read one) download in Google Play :confused:

That's because it just came out. I just talked to the developer today actually about it being listed as incompatible. The copy-protection he has right now prevents those using CyanogenMod from downloading it on Google's end which of course pretty much everyone in the tech scene uses because the OEM versions of Android are so bloated.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
That's because it just came out. I just talked to the developer today actually about it being listed as incompatible. The copy-protection he has right now prevents those using CyanogenMod from downloading it on Google's end which of course pretty much everyone in the tech scene uses because the OEM versions of Android are so bloated.

Wow, I've never heard of that before. I've seen Linux distros being possible to run on an iPad, but end up bricking it a lot of the time, and this looks like it'll solve that problem. Thanks for bringing that up!

I've also seen a lot of open-source developers offer the uncompiled source code of their software, so that offers an option for good PowerPC support.

Last edited:

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Most likely depends on what you need to do.

Have to run Photoshop? Any old PowerPC and an older copy of Photoshop will allow something things that Photoshop for iOS just doesn't.

That said, I'll take an iPad for daily browsing then a PPC Mac

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I think a lot of people underestimate the average consumer. In my experience with the consumer market, people are doing a lot more than email and solitaire with their computers these days. They are wanting to watch online videos (YouTube, netflix etc.), gaming (not necessarily flash games either), editing their own photos, edit their own videos. The list goes on, and they want it done flawlessly. All of these things I listed require jumping through hoops to get working, tracking down older versions of software, or just plain don't work in some cases on a powerpc system. Not many consumers are willing to put up with, or have the patience to do said things. The power may be there in some cases, but the ease of use factor isn't there. And even then, a modern day Sandy Bridge Celeron/Pentium spanks a dual or quad g5. And for a lot of people, a tablet may fit the bill for them. Although what I am noticing, is people are not replacing their Desktops/laptops with tablets, but are simply using them to complement their computers.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Although what I am noticing, is people are not replacing their Desktops/laptops with tablets, but are simply using them to complement their computers.

I have a friend who is now using their iPad as their only computer, actually. Surprisingly, she uses it a lot, and she only occasionally borrows one whenever she really needs a computer. She's claimed to really almost completely use it for Facebook, Angry Birds etc., and watching Youtube with the occasional light text editing.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I have a friend who is now using their iPad as their only computer, actually. Surprisingly, she uses it a lot, and she only occasionally borrows one whenever she really needs a computer. She's claimed to really almost completely use it for Facebook, Angry Birds etc., and watching Youtube with the occasional light text editing.

There will obviously be exceptions. I was just basing my post off of my own experiences.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I have a friend who is now using their iPad as their only computer . . . She's claimed to really almost completely use it for Facebook, Angry Birds etc., and watching Youtube with the occasional light text editing.
Thats really what tablets are good for at this point IMO. In some cases, a tablet is OVERKILL for those tasks. At the end of the day there are still a lot of us out there that prefer a traditional computer interface and file system that tablets simply don't give you. Thats why i like using my tablet when I need some extended battery life and im just browsing the internet, but when I get off the couch and want to do anything else, its straight to a real computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.