TableView in UIViewController issue

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by nashyo, Apr 25, 2012.

1. nashyo macrumors 6502

nashyo

How can I make a table view behave normally when embedded in a UIViewController - (Not UITableViewController?)

I have discovered that it is impossible to have static table cells when adding the tableview as a subview of a view in a UIViewController. This is only possible in UITableView Controllers.

So I have set the tableview cells as dynamic and given them a 'group' style. My datasource is a simple array of dictionaries resulting in three rows (1 section only). This is working fine when setting the value of prototype cells = 1 in storyboard. If there are more than 1 prototype cells in storyboard, I receive the following error:

Error
    Assertion failure in -[UITableView dequeueReusableCellWithIdentifier:], /SourceCache/UIKit_Sim/UIKit-1914.84/UITableView.m:4118
    2012-04-25 13:31:12.530 Design3RCGP[2521:f803] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'invalid nib registered for identifier ((null)) - nib must contain exactly one top level object which must be a UITableViewCell instance'

I am trying to set up the following arrangement, so that each row segue's to a unique view. The following arrangement was easily done using a UITableViewController

[​IMG]

However, this is proving impossible. in storyboard I cannot set up more than one segue from the table view when selecting each of the prototype table view cells individually.

How can I make a table view behave normally when embedded in a UIViewController - (Not UITableViewController?)

2. ppilone macrumors 6502

How are you loading the table view cells for your table view? It might be helpful to post your tableView:cellForRowAtIndexPath: code.

If you're using dynamic cells you may be forgetting to set the cell identifier in your storyboard.

3. ppranav macrumors newbie

Having the same issue

I'm having the same problem. Looks like its a common problem for people starting out with storyboard. Please post any suggestions that have worked.