Tablo App for ATV 4

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by colodane, Jun 17, 2016.

1. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

Saw today that Tablo is announcing an app for the ATV. App is free. As I understand it, it allows for recording of OTA programming on the Tablo DVR box ($200) with easy access via ATV. The schedule info feed from Tablo is $5 a month.

This could be an interesting option for some cord-cutters. I'd like to hear feedback on this forum from anyone who gives it a try, as well as general opinions on Tablo.

2. jdag macrumors 6502a

Just installed the ATV app, and the 1st thing I noticed was that it is FAST and SMOOTH! Such an improvement over every other streaming device Tablo app I've used (FireTV, Roku). I've watched a few different channels, and have had zero buffering. FF/Rew is super quick and fluid. I very rarely use voice control in general, but even a quick check of "go back 30 seconds" worked perfectly.

You are looking at a pretty sizable investment to get started, but of course, you are paid back in a handful of months by forgoing cable/satellite bills. Also, I am sure most people already have at least some of the needed hardware. When I set up my system, I believe I spent about $400 or so. Considering I've had it for ~20 months now, I've saved ~$2,000 in DirecTV charges, so no complaints whatsoever. The new ATV app completes the circle.

Here are the startup costs:
    1) Tablo 4-tuner ($300) or 2-tuner ($200)
    2) USB HD (~$60) (Tablo has specific recommendations, so assume you need to buy a new one)
    3) OTA antenna ($40-$150+) (this is very much based on what you need for your specific installation)
    4) Coax cable ($0-$100) (again, depends on your situation, you may not need any new wiring)
    5) AppleTV(s) ($150/ea) (often on sale for $125, and you can use other streaming devices if you want, although seeing the performance of the new ATV app, don't skimp!)
    6) Programming guide is $5/mo or $150 lifetime (and, unlike TiVo, the lifetime is on your account, not on the specific Tablo box, so you can replace the box and/or add additional boxes and still have lifetime guide service) (note: technically the programming guide is not mandatory, but you would lose a ton of functionality by not having it)

Tablos are pretty readily available on eBay. My cousin just bought a 2-tuner box last week for $120, including a 2tb external HD and shipping, so saved ~$140 off of new.

This finally makes Tablo something I'd recommend. In the past, I would always give 100 different gotchas to people that asked about my setup.

3. colodane thread starter macrumors 6502a

colodane

Thank you, jdag, for the very useful post. I understand everything except #2 - the "USB HD". Can you please explain in more detail what that is? Thanks!

4. jdag macrumors 6502a

5. colodane thread starter macrumors 6502a

colodane

Aha - HD = Hard Drive! Makes sense. I was thinking "High Definition". That does sound like a straight-forward setup, and I like having the storage separate from the tuner. Thanks again!

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Here is the first review from AskUncleDave.

7. 2manygs macrumors newbie

2manygs

Does anyone know whether this will work in the UK?

8. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

"Tablo is currently only available for residents of the United States (including Alaska & Hawaii) and Canada. You can buy Tablo direct from www.tablotv.com or through our trusted Online Retail Partners."

https://www.tablotv.com/faq/