Tabs closing when clicked in Chrome and Safari

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fysh3, Feb 12, 2011.

1. fysh3 macrumors newbie

I have had a problem which I outlined in this post

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11722081#post11722081

I have tried everything now. Last week I re-installed Snow Leopard over the top of the old installation. The problem disappeared for a day or two, then came back.

Now I have swapped out my internal hard drive with a MomentusXT. Re-Flashed it to the latest firmware, and installed a fresh install of snow leopard. I didn't restore from Time Machine, instead I used Migration Assistant to copy over my user account (Downloads, documents, music, movies and Photos). THE PROBLEM IS STILL HAPPENING!!!

So its got to be part of my user account. My question is this. If I reformatted, and re-installed Snow leopard, could I manually copy my data from the time machine backup, but not the settings? All my emails are saved locally on my macbook pro. I don't want to lose anything.

Any help would be gratefully recieved

2. stewart715 macrumors 6502

You could do an archive and install but who's to say your issue won't be archived and then installed. Best bet is to find a way to backup everything you need, to an external drive (emails, bookmarks, music, etc.) and then format your drive, install snow leopard and transfer everything back over (and install apps all over again).

It can be a pretty tedious process but this has helped me solved annoying issues like this.

3. fysh3, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

fysh3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, it seems like this is the way forward. I have backed up my calendar, address book, and am at the moment transferring all my hotmail mails to my Gmail account. I have found where my iPhoto's are on my backup, and the music.

But what about iTunes? What will happen with all the apps I have paid for? Are they stored online? I'm guessing that when I plug my iPhone in again, it will wipe it, as it will be a fresh install of iTunes....

4. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

What you have to do is to deauthorize the App Store account on your old installation first, and authorize your account again in the iTunes of the new installation. Also, you have to disable Automatic Syncing of iPhone in iTunes' preferences. After that, plug in your iPhone. The name of your iPhone should appear on the left pane of iTunes now, right click on it and click on transfer purchases, then all your apps will be sync up to your iTunes library.

Do a backup at this moment, and choose to sync the thing you would like to sync from the new computer. One point to note is that, if you re-sync your apps, you will lose all your folders on your iPhone, but if you do a "restore from backup" again after that, your folders and app arrangement will be back and you can sync your apps like normal.

Hope the above helps.

5. fysh3 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks haruhiko. I would never of known to do this, and would of lost all my purchases. I won't be doing a fresh install till tomorrow morning, as its going to take hours to upload all my emails to my Gmail account. I will go and back up my iphone now, and save that in a safe place!