Tabs Everywhere

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by dogslobber, Jun 13, 2016.

1. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Can any Sierra users describe what this means for Apple Mail and Safari, and other apps? Example images would be good.

Thanks.

2. Jyby macrumors 6502

I'm interested in this as well. I can't imagine this just working well wih existing apps liked they claimed. Theres gotta be a bad example of this

3. JesperA macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it looks like expected and have alot of bugs, as espected

Right now, "tabs everywhere" is a huge stretch, some apps, like Mail, dont even seem to have the support to create tabs, i had to create 2 separate windows, then use "Windows - Merge windows" (or whatever the translation to english really is), then i got 2 tabs in Mail (Draft and Inbox on my screenshot), does not really work that well, one annoying bug is that even though i now have 2 tabs in mail, the both tabs are actually located on 2 different "Desktops" so when changing tabs, it also uses mission control, or whatever, to move to another desktop, you have to move both tabs to the same "Desktop" manually to not have the tabs moving to other "Desktops", so visually, they are contained in one window, but those windows inside the tabs actually works like separate windows behind the scenes

I could not get tabs to work in Calendar, tabs work great in Maps.

Problem is, apps that have used tabs for a long time, like Safari, Finder, Chrome and everything else, those have "new tab" on cmd+t, problem is, alot of other apps have the cmd+t already assigned to something else, like Mail so what will Apple to to get a coherent systemwide tab shortcut? Force other apps to let go of the cmd+t so Apple can use the shortcut systemwide?

Let me know what apps you want me to test or screenshot

mail tabs.png

4. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

can you test preview? I would love the ability to have tabs for different pdfs. Thanks!

5. JesperA macrumors 6502a

Nope, no tab support for the Preview app, not even the tab bar like on some apps that does not support tabs but atleast show the tab bar, but you still can open several PDF:S in Preview and have all of them in the same window and switch between them from the sidebar in the Preview app

Apple will probably implement tabs in the Preview app before the public release

6. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Here are a few of my tests. The Omniweb one is interesting because it displays a sort of "tabception" effect where each native tab has its own set of app tabs.

Attached Files:

7. timshundo macrumors regular

Thanks for testing Sketch! Was just gonna ask. Looks good!

8. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Tabs everywhere and no favicons for safari! I hope they update The plug safari stand or Apple implement some way to navigate the greyness

9. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68020

dogslobber

What does textedit look like? In Chrome if you have multiple windows each with tabs then do you end up with two tab bars?

10. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

TextEdit looks as you might expect. Chrome is unaffected because it doesn't use NSDocument and does funky custom junk with its windows. Best I can tell, system tabs disable themselves in applications that tinker with the titlebar/windowframe, as Chrome does. This held true for one of my own NSDocument-based applications with a custom titlebar.

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 10.38.46 AM.png

11. umzyi macrumors regular

umzyi

What about word or excel? Any tabs on them? Always wanted to see tabs on word..

12. Superhai macrumors 6502

Superhai

As pointed out most apps have Cmd T assigned to something else, but some apps are able to bring up the tab-bar by using Cmd-Shift-T and if they are able to add more tabs a + is shown at the end. I think all apps able to open new windows will be somewhat supported, but everywhere? Nope.