Tabs in IOS5

Discussion in 'iPad' started by skyehigh, Oct 14, 2011.

1. skyehigh macrumors member

Can someone tell me if you can turn off tabs on the wifes Ipad2 after upgrading to IOS5 ?
    This is more windows clutter we don't want ..........

2. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

You can't. They're really nice though, give them a try.

3. skyehigh thread starter macrumors member

Hated it many years ago on windows and just don't understand why Apple now want to clutter up your screen .
    The reason most of us love Apple is because its clean and simple with no clutter , this is another step backwards and the fact that you don't even have an option now is terrible ...........

4. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Tabs aren't a Windows feature, they're on every major browser, including Safari. It's much quicker to use than having to use the tiny little screenshots that required two taps instead of one.

5. doboy macrumors 68000

Too bad you don't like it cause a lot of people (including me) prefer this over the old way of switching windows. You should give iCab a try since you can do full screen as well as download files and even create PDF of websites and much much more. Only downside is it's little slower than Safari.

6. skyehigh thread starter macrumors member

Tabs ARE a windows feature and you have an option on safari if you want tabs or not .
    This option has been taken away on ipad2 .

7. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Tabs are far from a Windows feature, in fact they are far from being a feature of any operating system. In fact, tabs were last implemented by Microsoft on Internet Explorer. Technically Apple was one of the first to start using them in Safari 2, way before Internet Explorer (Microsoft/Windows). I understand you don't like them, but claiming they are a feature of Windows is just not true.

8. skyehigh thread starter macrumors member

Will agree to disagree , still shocking that you are not even allowed to turn it off though .......once again Apple TELLING us what we want .........

9. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

No, I'll just agree that tabs are not a Windows feature. There cannot possibly be an option to customize every single facet of the operating system.

10. skyehigh thread starter macrumors member

Give it a rest , they forced it on folk and its no big deal to have a little click that says NO .......i don't want windows clutter on my pad !

11. BrennerM macrumors regular

I like that the tabs don't really use extra screen space because they just replace the title bar (web page name) that used to be at the top of the screen. They are a fantastic feature IMO. If Apple gave an option to turn them off they would have to also keep the old method of multi-windows in addition to tabs which would mean a more complex browser using more memory overall.

12. doboy macrumors 68000

If you feel so strongly about it then send Apple a feedback. Since you are a minority (in terms of not wanting this feature) you're out of luck. Like I suggest, try other browser apps.

13. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Where do they stop with options then? The list could go on and on. This isn't Windows clutter, it's simply tabbed browsing, which about 90% of people were probably very excited about, myself included. I'm sure Apple would love to hear from you. Until then, try Dolphin Browser.

14. bobright macrumors 601

Tabbed browsing is great sorry but you're very mislead.

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The earth IS flat.:eek::D

16. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

Personally I would like to see tabs auto hide and appear the same way as favorites works by touching the URL bar.

17. ug4eva macrumors newbie

tabs are good for research

I agree that tabs are more useful than the old 'tiled page view' - but only when the tabs you are using need to be accessed relatively closely in time, for example, if you are doing research on a single topic. However, sometimes I want unrelated pages to 'linger' for a while, ie. neither as a bookmark nor as a too-visible tab. It would be nice to be able to hide tabs - and to have the option of a tiled view (sometimes I can't tell by the title what a page was about) - for those reasons.

18. BrennerM macrumors regular

Before iOS5, the title of the current web page was shown above the address bar. Now it is shown below the address bar on a tab. It doesn't really take much more screen real estate than in iOS4. If you don't want to use tabs, just don't click on the + to create new tabs...

I do agree that Apple should put more options in to turn things off. If they put them in a slightly hidden 'advanced' area of settings then casual users wouldn't accidentally trip over them, but advanced users could access them.

19. MacFan23 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Reading List?

20. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I love my cave, and look upon people who live in houses in disgust :D

21. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Close the surplus tabs and resist the temptation to press "+"