Tactical Shooters (Rainbow Six etc.)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I really enjoyed playing "Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear" on my PC some 12 years ago. What I liked most about it was the mission planning phase. Looking at the area map, drawing paths for the different team members to go, set points where they wait for commands, coordinating everything. I would probably spend 1-2 hours per mission planning, and 15 minutes actually playing. :D

Are there any recent games that incorporate this kind of mission planning/preparation? I played "R6: Vegas", and it was pretty much just infiltrate a room, shoot your way to next room, infilrate room, rinse repeat. The tactical planning was reduced to "which door do we open?".

Any recommendations, preferably on a Playstation platform?

2. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

With Playstation you mean PS3, right? Can't help you really, but I find FPS and especially those you talk about in general not really suited for consoles. But what I can tell you is that I really like the recent Splinter Cell: Blacklist game. It features a very nice multiplayer mode Spies vs. Mercs where it is less about killing but involves quite a lot of tactical sneaking, spying, taking advantage of the environment, usage of the right equiptment etc.
    Single player is awesome imho from what I've played - just a few days into it. You can look it up on youtube, it's different to Rainbow Six (well, haven't seen that game since a lot of years, but guess it's still kinda the same approach) of course though.

3. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Anything I can play on PS3 or Vita (which includes PSP and PS One games) would work, really.

Blacklist is on my radar.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Unit 13 on the vita is good....that's all I got there :D

Bless

6. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

I may have to get an old Rainbow Six game, like Rogue Spear or Ravenshield, and get it running on my MacBook, hooked up to my TV.

7. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

How do the Ghost Recon GRAW2 and Future Soldier games fare? Downloaded them both, but haven't tried them yet.

8. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Played a few hours into GRAW2. Not sure how I feel about it yet. It feels...dated. Controls are a little clunky. The only tactical element so far is the ability to (poorly) control the other team or a remote control camera. It's kinda fun, but also kinda meh.

What I like least about it is the setting. Too much desert/military, I'd like some variety. Maybe that will come later?

Is Future Soldier very similar to this?

9. Red Cube macrumors member

Are you sure? Judging by the reception, I don't think so...
    I'd recommend Insurgency 2 (http://www.playinsurgency.com) instead. It's very good (and for pc/mac) though not enough people play it. Let's hope that changes upon release (gotta love them tiny open betas) :D