Tag Heuer confirms Baselworld Carrera smartwatch launch, Intel and Google partners

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by OllyW, Mar 19, 2015.

1. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

This sounds interesting, especially "The watch will be a digital replica of the original Tag Heuer black Carrera and look like the original watch" part.

Pity it's going to be Android Wear and won't work with the iPhone.

Tag Heuer confirms Baselworld Carrera smartwatch launch, Intel and Google partners

2. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Does anyone have a picture of the original watch?

Ultimately I don't see this being very successful.

3. OllyW thread starter Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

This is the one shown in the Pocket-lint report.

It would be the best looking Android Wear watch so far. :)

[​IMG]

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Apple has definitely shaken up the market. It will be interesting to see how many other traditional watchmakers follow suit. In this light, it's much easier to see why Apple is selling the Edition. If this takes off, we might even see another premium collection priced in between the Apple Watch and the Edition (call it the "Collection").

5. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

It will be very very interesting to see how many Android owner will buy it, seeing they're screaming how expensive The Editin is.

I said this before but I'll say it again, it's imperative to Google to have Android Wear works with iOS.

6. kxxxxxxxx macrumors newbie

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes. And probably better looking than Apple Watch 1.0. But ultimately it's still powered by Android and from what we know about Android buyers based on scientifically conducted market research, they tend not to be big spenders. Low price is the reason most bought an Android device in the first place. A non-Smart Watch Tag Carrera goes from $2K-8K depending on model.

To me it seems to be a test to enable TAG/LVMH to get it's "hands" wet in the smart watch category in case it becomes a "thing" really quickly. But I think the iPhone's market domination in the U.S. is going to be a problem for them.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's interesting that some people can't justify the price tag the Apple watch carries because it's not a traditional watch you can keep for 20 years.

This I completely understand.

What I don't understand is why a company like Tag would butcher their traditional watch with technology that is prone to the same fate as the Apple watch.

If a $700.00 Apple watch is too rich for your blood why would you fork out over a $1000.00 for a Tagdroid watch? I sure as hell wouldn't.

9. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I think the way forward for companies like Tag is to create the smart band for their watches and to include a non smart band which can be easily swapped. So, the band itself can become obsolete but the watch itself will last.

Or maybe an overlay screen ontop of their watch face that can blank out the actual face and display notifications, maps etc. Perhaps that's too far ahead into the future.