Tag, or not to tag... That is the question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Tech198, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

what's the advantage of tagging in the media (E.g moves) vs tagging via ITunes

I mean, not just getting the Album art from iTunes (how many times is this successful?), but manually editing info and adding them one by one.

I know it's quicker, automatic by software like MetaX or Identify, but apart from that,

can you just fit more detailed info in media files that are just not possible tagging from outside? What about ease of removal of tags? I'm guessing if the media was never tagged in the file in the first place, then you can easily just change that via ITunes, than dealing with certain software.

So, what's best efficient method used?

2. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

WHen you 'tag' in iTunes, the tags are stored in the iTunes database, not in the file. So if for some reason you wanted to copy the files to another computer and load them into iTunes there, the tags would not follow. Also some people like to use something other than iTunes to view or manage media; again, the tags would not follow the file.

I started using IDentify recently and it does a very good job of looking up all of those tags from internet sources and populating them for you (including artwork). If you wanted to remove tags or edit them later, you can do so from the same tool you originally used to insert them.