Tag that music

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Tech198, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Regarding ID3 tags, is there any universal standard. ?

From what i've tried so far, i don't think so, because if i add covert art in iTunes, and/or other meta data, it seems that only iTunes can remove them (or 3rd party products allow API access), with the exception of Covert Art.

I've had issues with mp3tag in Windows, and also info was tagged in iTunes on Mac, mp3tag won't touch cover art or allot of stuff.

Is ID3 tags unique for iTunes, or in general for the app your tagging them with ?

If so, then that must make things more complicated.

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I think you also have to pay attention to what version of ID tagging you are doing.

There is some good information here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3

As for me, I do all of my album art via two programs. If I am ripping a new album, I use XLD on the Mac side. If I am updating any meta data at all, I use tag&rename on the windows side.

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

does XLD support OGG output ?

I know Toast can do it, but i already have XLD... I got a whole bunch i need to convert.

4. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

OGG doesn't use ID3 tags. It uses Xiph comments.

5. VoR macrumors 6502a

I don't use OSX any more so can't speak for the client itself (but seriously doubt there's any issues), I find musicbrainz picard is far and away the best tool for the job.

I also feel that however it's achieved, getting musicbrainz metadata into your media is the best/current/etc 'Universal Standard' of tagging.