Tagging App for DVD rips?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by odinsride, Nov 8, 2011.

1. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Hi, I am in the process of ripping my entire DVD collection and encoding them with Handbrake for streaming to my Apple TV. I am wondering what is the best/easiest app for downloading and tagging all the DVD info (including chapter titles and cover art etc).

I had previously used MetaX to do this a long time ago but it seems that project is discontinued and may not be working well anymore. I remember that it had a feature to download all info from Amazon automatically for most titles, looking for similar functionality.

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Rather than go the Apple TV route, which is limited in which file types it handles, and which requires the iTunes interface, I elected to go with Plex to manage movies and TV shows. It's a much more elegant interface, requires a LOT less work, and works with many more file types. I use a Mac mini connected to my HDTV as my video server. The results are excellent!

3. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

Will it stream to Apple TV or PS3? I don't have a computer I can easily sit near my TV, I have all my media stored on a self-built server.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I may be wrong, since I chose not to buy one, but I think the Apple TV only accepts streaming from iTunes. I haven't researched if anyone is using Plex to stream to Apple TV. My mini is connected via a 15' HDMI cable. Depending on where your server is and your connection options, perhaps longer cables would solve the issue.

5. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

Yeah, I am actually fine with using iTunes to stream my media. I'm only looking for something to make filling in the metadata a bit easier.

6. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

There is an app called Identify on the App Store that does exactly what I think that you are looking for. It will tag the chapters, genre, actors, artwork, etc from IMDB.

I use Identify after encoding with Handbrake, it work about 85% of the time. The rest of the time I have to get the IMDB code and manually enter it. Once it knows the code, it will then get the rest of the information.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Beat me to it. Identify works very well. Having your DVD collection Handbraked to ATV2 allows them to play on any iOS device.

8. anfield11 macrumors 6502

What is this "handbraked" you speak of? :)

Rookie at this. I found Identify in the app store, but not "handbrake' or "handbraked"

Stop laughing! :)

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I found this: http://handbrake.fr/details.php by using this:
    ScreenCap 21.png

10. anfield11 macrumors 6502

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, quite simple.

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Yes and works very well. Subtitles could use a little work as can be tricky but generally "forced, burned in" will make sure you get them.
    Use the ATV2 preset and queue up your collection. It'll work your CPU pretty hard. I've been using it for ages. After they're converted use Identify to tag them.
    A typical movie converted to ATV2 is about 800MB per hour.

13. anfield11 macrumors 6502

Okay, I was reading some stuff on the Handbrake site and they quote "It only supports sources that DO NOT contain any form of copy protection!"

So, I was thinking that I'd be able to convert my DVD collection to this and then do away [sell] with the discs. Correct?

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've never had a problem ripping a DVD with Handbrake. Yes, you could sell the discs if you want, but I keep mine to play on DVD players in other rooms, or to lend to friends and family. It's also a good backup, in case a file gets damaged or lost.

15. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

That's what VLC does. Handbrake will use it once you install it.

Both free, both very popular. Install them and pop in a DVD.

16. anfield11 macrumors 6502

So VLC is another app/program?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

I have an Intel Core 2 iMac...which one would I need.

Thanks for all the help.

17. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

Thanks for the Identify recommendation, I'll check it out when I get home

18. The Norman macrumors member

Subler is great for individual videos. MetaX is still the program to beat for batch tagging TV series. It depends on how meticulous you are. Some other programs are faster if you're not a perfectionist.

19. kirsch92 macrumors member

If you don't use the app store, there is a free version of Identify 2 that works very well, and you can decide if the extras the paid version has are needed before paying for it.

http://identify2.arrmihardies.com/

20. jamesvdm macrumors regular

jamesvdm

Another app - RipIt.

It does the whole shebang, metadata lookup, rip and compress to an iTunes compatible format.