Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applechunckin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
I have been using tags in Mavericks for sometime to organize my files. But there are cases where I have duplicate tags for say receipts. I have some files tagged with receipt and some tagged with receipts. There is no differentiating factor between the two tags. In fact, I want to just stick with the plural "receipts" for all my receipt tags.

Is there a way to transfer change all the files tagged with "receipt" to "receipts" in one swoop? And of course I would then delete the tag receipt, but my worry is that the system does not automatically retag the files and all those files with the receipt tag would now have no tag.

Thanks

notengoojotas

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2014
Buenos Aires
I have been using tags in Mavericks for sometime to organize my files. But there are cases where I have duplicate tags for say receipts. I have some files tagged with receipt and some tagged with receipts. There is no differentiating factor between the two tags. In fact, I want to just stick with the plural "receipts" for all my receipt tags.

Is there a way to transfer change all the files tagged with "receipt" to "receipts" in one swoop? And of course I would then delete the tag receipt, but my worry is that the system does not automatically retag the files and all those files with the receipt tag would now have no tag.

Thanks

Yes. In the Finder sidebar, under tags you should see the two tags, receipt and receipts, click on the one you don't want, select all files and drag them to the correct tag in the sidebar. Then, the old tag should have no files. And then you can right-click it and delete it.

Applechunckin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
organizing tags

Yes. In the Finder sidebar, under tags you should see the two tags, receipt and receipts, click on the one you don't want, select all files and drag them to the correct tag in the sidebar. Then, the old tag should have no files. And then you can right-click it and delete it.

Great tip. The only thing that was not reflected in your advice was that the tag still had the files after they were dragged into the correct tag. The files has both tags so I deleted the older tag to delete the older tags on the files I wanted with the new files. In these cases it didn't matter since I was completely subsuming all the singular forms of the tag into the plural forms of the tag. But if I wanted to do this with just a portion of the tags, the deleting of the files associated with the old tag would be helpful. Is there something I need to turn on in preferences to have this effect take place?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.