Tagging Songs in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ELMI0001, Feb 3, 2012.

1. ELMI0001, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

I did a search and didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

So here goes ...

I'm looking for a better way to tag songs in iTunes rather than Grouping. Grouping is very ... 2005, to me.

A little more detail. I run. A lot. I do numerous events and always use my Nano. I want to tag all my running songs with a generic tag "running" and then add more later, i.e. "Oct 2011 Marathon" and so on.

If anyone is familiar with Salesforce, I like their tagging system. I'll attach a couple of screenshots of how it works in Salesforce and what I'd like to be able to do in iTunes. Salesforce allows public and private tags, this wouldn't apply in iTunes, unless you wanted to tag certain songs for the admin only to see, but not what I'm going for here.

If this can be done, outside of Grouping, and I'm completely missing it, please point me in that direction.

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

iTunes doesn't have an elegant way of doing what you want. One workaround is to use the Comments field (if you're not using it for anything else). You can add keywords (tags) to the Comments field, then use smart playlists to identify songs with that keyword. For example, you could have a song with "running" and "10-11Marathon" in the Comments field. Then you could have a running smart playlist that includes all songs where the Comments field includes "running", and a 10-11Marathon that includes all songs with that keyword in the Comments field. It's not elegant, but it would work. You could also create smart playlists that include multiple keywords or exclude some keywords.

3. ELMI0001 thread starter macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

Thanks for the reply ... I wanted to what others came up with if they wrapped their heads around it.

I wonder if Spotify has an App that would allow it. I might check that out and Songbird too for an iTunes alternative with the features I want.

If I find anything I'll report back.