Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you deal with tailgaters?

• Total voters

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
this was scary, it was my second time out in my driving school driving the car with an instructor. Our car was clearly marked "Student Driver" implying stay away I'm not very good at this, and normally this works. This guy was about 2 feet behind me at 40 mph, my instructor asked me to pull over, and we switched places.

Coolnat2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
I usually slow to about 5 miles below the speed limit if they are tailgating me unreasonably (e.g., when I am going 5 over the speed limit on a residential street with no other traffic). If I am in the left lane of the highway, I pull to the right because it is the passing lane, afterall.

The other day, a guy was following me very close on a very dangerous road. I was in a good mood, so I gradually slowed the car to a dead stop. I sat there for about 5 seconds, while watching him show gestures of confusion. I kept going at the mercy of the car behind him. :D What's funny, is that he backed off after that, likely because he thought I was crazy.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
In town I'll usually attempt to take a different route to my destination but this obviously involves guesswork. Out in the country I usually use the next slow vehicle bay.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
Way back when... when I had a nice sporty, fast car... I used to slam on the brakes and then floor it with the gas and speed off :D :p

Hey, this thread reminds me of a story... when I was living back in Bay Area 8 years ago.... my best friend and I, at the time were driving on the freeway (actually, just I was driving :p ) and he was playing with a laser pointer and flashed it in the rearview mirror of car ahead of us. The car proceeded to change lanes and slow down... pulled behind us and tailgated us for about 30 miles up the freeway 680 and on 84 (I think) between Fremont and Livermore (for any of you that know :p )... anyway he just about hit is with his car when I stepped on the brakes and sped off... then turning a sharp side street at about 35mph.. lost him! haha, sorry, just a funny fond memory now :D

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
I usually figure they are in a bigger hurry than I am, and I pull over. If there is a string of traffic ahead of me, that's different, but if I'm the lead car and they're riding my tail, yeah, let them go by.

in a string of traffic, they're either having an emergency, or they're an idiot. either way I don't wish to be a part of their accident. I still let them go by, but it annoys me.

In college, I had 4 friends die in a accident because they tried to pass a string of cars and no one would let them in to the line of traffic. Should they have tried to pass? No. Does that make it okay for the guy who didn't let them in? of course. He was right to make everyone drive the speed limit. I'm sure that was his job. He kept those fools in their place, and I'm sure it made him a better person...

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
I very rarely have to deal with tailgaters since I'm generally going about 10 mph above the speed limit (how I've never gotten a ticket is beyond me...). However, when someone is tailgating me I'll just pull over and let them pass. I figure anyone who's tailgating is slightly crazy anyways since it's so dangerous to do, and so no need to further aggravate them...

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
If it's on town roads or country lanes I'll slow down to about 20mph. If it's on a motorway I'll move out of the way when convenient.

guifa

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
Tailgaters are cool. Especially at the Iron Bowl, you can always expect to get really good barbeque or other types of food from 'em. ALways a lot of alcohol to go around.

Oh.

Wait.

You mean people who ride your ass on the road and not people that hang out around a football stadium before a football game.

Oh, I just slow down to the same slow speed as the person to my right whatever that be. Typically that puts me at about 5 below. I'm passive-agressive, ah wlel.

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
I let them pass me. I figure I'm doing the speed limit, if they want to go faster, they can go right ahead and do it. But I'm not getting out of the way.

BTW: Had a tailgater the other day. I'm doing 25-30 in a 25. This guy is riding my bumper in his SUV, and I can see him waving his arms and stuff. This guy was being really stupid, because this was in a place which is constantly patrolled by police. We get up to the light, and turn left. There is a bike (pedal powered) in front of me. We turn left through the intersection doing about 2 MPH. All I see is this SUV's grill in my mirror. It was sooo tempting to brake check him. Anywho, we make it through the turn, and as soon as we get to a passing zone, he wizzes past me (I'm doing 50 in a 45), and barrels up the road and starts tailgating another guy, after nearly hitting him. He was pulling out into traffic, and if Mr. SUV was doing the speed limit, he would have had plenty of time.

Anyway, not trying to make a point, just want to gripe a bit. :0)

iz3r

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Arizona
What you do is maintain your speed. Take your left foot and tap the breaks enough so ONLY the light goes on, do this until they stop its funny!

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
If I'm on the highway (most of my driving) and I'm in the right lane I'll usually slow down till they pass. If I'm in the left lane I'll usually accelerate to get by whatever car I'm passing and get out of their way.

I've only really been bothered by a tailgater once. I was coming back home after a concert at about 1:00 AM when this guy runs a red light and pulls onto the highway right in front of me. I swerved into another lane and didn't hit him. Once he got up to speed he started tailgating me. He was really close and refused to pass. I'd slow down and he'd slow down. I even changed lanes and he continued to slow down next to me. Normally I would have just pulled off the side of the road but this guy seemed crazy and I wasn't too keen about stopping out in the middle of nowhere where I live. Long story short, I floored it and got away from him. That course of action wasn't ideal but I'm not too sure how else to behave in that situation.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
They drive me nuts. If they get on to close to my rear my normal way of dealing with them to take my left foot and flash my brake lights but not really slow down. More than ones I have caused the jack asses to smoke their tires. Nice thing about it is I do not risk them hitting me because I never change my speed but when you are following some one that closely you see brake lights you slam on your brakes.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
I generally drive faster than the limit, so I'm not often bothered by tailgaters.

However, depending on the road, I will use a combination of the methods used here to knock em.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
I fail to see the problem.
Ok so some tailgates you. The only reason I can think of why you don't like it, is that it could cause an accident. That should rule out basically tricks involving hitting the breaks. Since this just increases the probability for an accident.
Speeding up should increase the probability that an accident would be fatal or severe.
As I see it, the best strategy is just to ignore it. Everything else just increases the possibility for an accident and/or make injuries from an collision more severe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.