Take image of current Windows installation, open on Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by simonk83, Oct 25, 2012.

1. simonk83 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

So, currently I have a Windows installation which I'm going to sell off an move to a Mac Mini.

I also have MacBook Pro.

What I'd like to do is take a clone/image/snapshot/virtual machine of my current Windows installation, then have that image available as a VM on the new Mac. I've been trying to do this for a few days now (testing it out on the Macbook Pro) and I just can't get it working.

What's the best way to do this? I imagine I'm not the first person to need this :D

I do have VMware Fusion installed on the MBP, and I've tried the PC Migrate option but have run into a couple of issues.

1. I have several drives in the Windows PC and VMware seems to want to copy everything across (not just the Windows install drive) so it ends up over 500GB

2. I get an error anyway when it starts (network issues apparently).

Hoping someone has a simple solution for this :(

Thanks!!!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you don't want your data drives migrated, just remove them from the PC before you image it.

FWIW I've used the standalone VMWare Converter for this many times. I usually send the image to an external HDD instead of trying a network link.

B

3. simonk83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I actually have vmware converter running as we speak :) I'm also creating a vhd through disk2vhd.

Then I guess I'll try and open them in VirtualBox and hope for the best :)

Thanks ;)

Ps. As for removing the other drives, that was a last resort. Bit of a PITA to do that so I was hoping there was a simpler way ;)

4. simonk83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, I'm having zero luck with this.

The problem, as far as I can tell, is that my OS drive in the PC is an SSD, which has a 100mb "reserved" partition which seems to hold the system data. The boot data is on the main partition.

When I try Vmware converter, it fails at one of the last steps (setting up configuration I believe). When I tried disk2vhd, I end up with 2 vhd's, as you'd expect I suppose (one for the main drive and one for the system partition), but neither will boot without the other.

Pretty stuck :( Surely there's an easier way than this :(

Oh, and I tried disconnecting my two other drives and running the Fusion migration tool, but now it bloody refuses to connect. Bah.

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Is it possible to go the other way around with the migration?

My Windows is running in a VMware Fusion virtual machine. I now have installed Windows as a bootable BootCamp installation, and also can access it as a VM.

Is it possible to take my old VM installation and fully migrate it to the native Windows installation (and attached VM)?

Thanks,
    -howard

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There are no canned procedures for V2P (virtual to physical), I have seen cases of it working, but none generic enough to share.

VMWare has a tech note here: http://www.vmware.com/support/v2p/doc/V2P_TechNote.pdf

B

7. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Thanks for the link ... I hadn't seen that.

-howard