Take iphone with me on travel or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by junker, Jan 31, 2008.

1. junker macrumors 6502

junker

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm wondering if there's any new advice on the subject.

Here's the scenario:

I live in US, have an iphone and am going on a multi-country travel jaunt (England, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France) in May... Traveling with 3 other people and would like to co-ordinate our meet-ups while in each location.

My tentative plan is to leave the phone here and buy a pay-as-you-go (PAYG) phone and travel all countries.

Questions:
    1. Any new (and reasonably priced) options on iphone travel?
    2. If I get the PAYG phone, will I need to change sim for each country?
    3. What is the best PAYG phone to purchase? (would be buying it in London)
    4. Any of the PAYG phones have GPS-like maps, cameras, etc?

Last Question: If I take my iphone with me, is there any way to use it only in disk mode to offload pics from a digital camera?

I did this once with my 40 gig video ipod (worked great) instead of carrying a laptop... ended up having about 10 gigs worth of pics! But I no longer have that ipod....maybe I could use the 1st gen firewire ipod?

If there is a PAYG phone with, at least, a good camera - that would be worth knowing about! As I would rather carry a few Memory cards, than a bulky DSLR.

Thanks for advice...

2. stekerrod macrumors regular

id say change sims for each country, but it depends how much youre staying in each country and how much you'll use the phone outside of the UK (especially if that's where you're buying it) although there has been an EU law to stop phone companies ripping you off as much , but its still expensive abroad,

as far as networks go i was on O2 pay as you go for years and the service was great!

check out a website like www.carphonewarehouse.com and that'll give you a good idea as what phones are available on pay as you go on the various networks and how much each network charges!

to answer another question.....iPhone cant be used as disk mode, and you'd need to connect it to a computer of some description to get the photos off it

3. nebsta macrumors member

Im not sure how this compares to US networks roaming charges but you could use a global sim card (such as Sim4Travel) in an unlocked PAYG phone which offers cheap roaming in most countries worldwide.

4. fart macrumors regular

Ask for Darren Lamb, he'll help ya out!

5. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Are you, perhaps, from Maryland?

6. junker thread starter macrumors 6502

junker

great advice from everyone thanks!

Maryland? LOL no, but I gotta know why you ask... currently in Nc

7. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Nevermind! It was a dumb question. I mistook the word jaunt for the (slang) word jaont.