Take MacBook Travelling - Yes or No? VOTE!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kardashian, Oct 31, 2007.

?

What gadgets do I take on a 5-month travelling trip?

1. MacBook, Nikon D40, iPhone, Canon IXUS 75 + £2200 Cash

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Nikon D40, iPhone, Canon IXUS 75 & iPod Classic + £2700 Cash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Canon IXUS 75, iPhone, iPod Classic + £2950 Cash

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Nikon D40, iPod Classic, iPhone + £2950

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Hey Guys.

Need help choosing what to take travelling with me to Oz, NZ, and Fiji in 2 months.

Gonna eBay what I'm not taking for extra funds.

Definatley on the list: an iPhone.

Reasons for not taking/taking:
    • I want to travel as light as possible and keep in touch back home - iPhone for calling/texting/Facebooking and e-mail
    • Digital Camera(s) to capture the moment. DSLR for amazing shots, Canon for snaps - or is the iPhone enough?
    • I don't want to be a major mugging risk, and where will I lock my laptop when in hostels?
    • I want to take movies/music with me. Main selection on iPhone but I want the lot - so if I sell the MacBook I'll be buying an iPod Classic.
    • I really want to upload pics to Flickr and Facebook when I'm away - if I don't take the MacBook, is there a way to get pics from my camera(s) to my iPhone for upload?
    • I'm thinking of taking MacBook, iPhone and Canon IXUS - selling the DSLR to get £250 extra - which is a lot when staying in hostels?

Opinions on which, and why.

2. ~J~ macrumors 6502

If I were going on that trip, I would definitely be taking a digicam... and my MBP to offload all the pics onto. A MB is light and easy to carry, get a good case, take it with you, spend only a little time on it and enjoy your trip!

3. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

My personal suggestion would be to take your D40, P&S camera, iPhone and one of those digital photo storage devices. Just a quick question... how much gear for your D40 do you plan to take?

4. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I've been advised on here to just take the kit lens, so that, a case, memory cards and charger.

I want something to store music and video on, aswell. And a way to upload pictures to people back home.

I really am leaning toward iPhone, MacBook, Canon IXUS.

And leaving the D40? Or would it be better to go without an iPhone, save £300 there and take everything else? :confused:

5. nineteentwelve macrumors regular

I think as along as you have all of your technology insured, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Ok, maybe it'll be upsetting and an inconvenience if they get stolen, but you'll have your insurance to cover it.

Personally? I'd go with the MacBook, iPhone and Canon IXUS. You will then have your MacBook to put your photographs on the web/HD, plus you'll be able to swap your content around on the iPhone.

6. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I think you need to clearly define what you call "traveling light" :D

7. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

you should be able to go anywhere for a year with only a book bag and a duffle bag (soccer bag).

8. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Yes, I think this is what I will do.

No need for an iPod then, pictures etc are safe, and I still have a cracking camera.

Awesome. I might be able to convince my friend (whos coming with me) to buy the Nikon - so I'll still get to use it.. in a sly way :)

9. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

That has nothing to do with thread. I'm asking what I consider to be a serious question - you have in no way shape or form offered any help or an opinion worth considering.

Please either post something worth while, or don't bother.

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

11. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

whow there buddy take it easy. there's more than a few spare kilobytes for useless comments.

12. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Sounds like a great trip! I was in Fiji in July/August and I'm sure you're going to love it... (especially if your single and have a thing for cute girls from the UK ;) )

While I voted for taking the MacBook, iPhone DSLR and Canon, it's probably over kill. If you want to do email and flckr uploads while away I would suggest taking the MacBook, DSLR (for awesome pictures), the Canon (with a waterproof enclosure if you like to snorkel/scuba), and a cheap phone.

The MacBook should cover your email, storage and uploading needs, and a much better choice than the iPhone IMHO. If you need to call home/text than you should be able to get an old GSM phone for next to nothing that will do just fine (and not attract any undo attention!). Adding the Canon might be overkill too, but on my trip to Fiji my biggest regret about the whole trip is not getting a waterproof camera or enclosure. We bought the disposable waterproof cameras and the pictures came out very poorly.

Have fun on your trip!

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

thats a bit of a snobbish attitude since he was likely replying to what the person above him said which asks you to clarify what packing light means.

but I'll reply to your question anyway:

I would take the Macbook since they are pretty tough laptops and not all that large/heavy since this will cover your media needs, storage needs and internet needs, then your camera(s). Get a nice backpack that can store your gear as well as other essentials and use another bag/suitcase/whatever for clothes etc. When i travel I take a backpack everywhere since I like to have room to chuck stuff if I buy things or need to store some food/water/whatever. Problem with the iPhone is that you will pay massive roaming charges when you use it no? Like those people who got charged thousands of dollars for leaving their EDGE on while in Europe for a month or two.

14. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I'll be unlocking.

I'm just worried £2200 won't be enough to cover 5 months stay. Dad's giving me a £100 allowance, and I know he'll really help out the last month I'm there.. so I've got around £700 a month to spend, accom. in hostels and all.

Should I not consider selling.. something?

15. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

i have a powerbook g4 and a MBP and i never take my MBP abroad. Even though you put your laptop in cases, scuffs and dents happen no matter how hard you want to prevent it. at the very least, i'd take out some traveler's insurance.

16. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I always carry my laptop when i travel, even for those short two days trips. If you do not need to use then it wont take much space, and if you do need it then you have it.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Seriously, he needs to chill out. And besides, you're actually right (erm, sort of). Travellers nowadays are quite soft and need to bring more than necessary. That's why they sell 80-85 litre travel backpacks now, isn't it? ;)

Travel with the iPhone, D40, a small p&s, and a card reader. Upload photos at internet cafes. Use the card reader so that you don't need to pull out a DSLR out in front of other backpackers. ;) Lots of places let you upload photos to the computer, and websites.

Funny thing though, I'm going to Japan for 3 weeks in December/January, and I'm bringing my laptop. Yay, 3rd visit in 12 months. However, Japan is much safer than Australia, NZ, and Fiji, and I won't need to stay in hostels very often.