Take new MPB to apple store and pay difference for hi-res display.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by m4tic, Jun 17, 2012.

1. m4tic macrumors member

As the title says.. Can I take a new MBP to the apple store and pay the difference to get the optional hi-res display and exchange my unit? Ya it could've been done at ordering... wanna fight about it?

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

If you bought it from Apple's online store and it's within the exchange period and they carry the hi-res model in the store you should be able to exchange it for the higher res version by paying the difference.

Cheers,

3. m4tic thread starter macrumors member

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I guess it depends on what models they have in stock that have the antiglare display. They might not have one exactly like yours but with antiglare.

Worst case you might have to exchange to a higher spec model that has the antiglare display.

5. whdigital macrumors regular

If bought online and they don't have what you want in-store, they can either 1)Return & refund your purchase to whatever method of payment used and then you're on your own to buy again online., OR 2)Return and give you an Apple Store Gift Card, but only up to $2,000, and they can't create a refund to split methods i.e. $2,000 to gift card and $300 refund to your Credit Card (which I think is totally ridiculous since it's quite easy to spend over $2,000 on any given purchase there).

If you bought online and they DO have whatever you want in stock in the store, you can return yours and pay whatever difference there may be in the NET total.

If the original purchase was made in the store and then you want to order a CTO using the refund dollars, I think you may have to wait for a refund (if over $2,000 total) to purchase online. If less than $2,000 you can use Gift Card issued from store towards CTO online.... Or tie up your money twice while waiting for the first refund to credit your card.

Confused yet? I think I am! ;)

6. m4tic thread starter macrumors member

7. lazaro macrumors newbie

dont mean to hi-jack the thread but can i do the same with a refurbished MBP i just bought online?

8. TheMacBookPro, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

No. Apple Stores do not carry refurb models, and you cannot exchange your refurb for a new Mac. You'll have to return your refurbished model then purchase a new one with the spec you desire.

9. whdigital macrumors regular

Not quite true. You can return your Refurb in the store and get credit towards any in-store purchase, including a new Mac or even a Gift Card; but that can only be if the total refund doesn't exceed $2,000 per what I outlined above.

10. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

That's not exchanging it- that would just be returning it then purchasing a new one as stated in my post.

The refunds part of my post is a bit confusing though, I'll edit that out :)

11. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

And a few years back some stores did carry refurbs. My friends in NC bought a few but I have no idea if that still happens and as you can imagine they had to take whatever the store had on any given day.

Cheers,