take pictures on the computer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by AdamRock, Dec 11, 2010.

1. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

does anyone know *preferably free* software that will allow me to connect my t2i (550d) to my computer then take pictures on the computer??

tried searching google but couldn't find anything but i know it exists because ive seen it before a while ago.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I thought Canon's software allowed you to connect it with the USB cable and do just that?

3. AdamRock thread starter macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

oh wow i'm so dumb.

i just checked and it does. well im learned my lesson: always install the included CD's

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

5. Smurfed macrumors regular

I wouldn't recommend that, maybe this was the only time it came useful though. :D

The Canon CD is pretty good I might say, let's you control the camera's aperture, settings, and even focus for remote shots.

6. AdamRock thread starter macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

yeah, its pretty amazing software and im surprised its free. if i was canon id sell that for like 150$

7. Captpegleg macrumors member

Dang Adam, you admitted to reading the manual, AKA RTFM? Be careful, you're on a slippery slope that could take you anywhere. You could end up asking for directions if you're not careful.

8. RHVC59 macrumors 6502

RHVC59

I found a Sofortbild at http://www.sofortbildapp.com/ when I needed to do a project at work where tethered shooting was a must. Lightroom 3 did not tether my D80 , but Sofortbild did a great job. We had a "Fun Day" at the Museum and I was making "Wanted "posters of kids in their Halloween Costumes. Set the camera on my tripod and aimed it at a background we had set up. When the person sat down I was able to snap the picture from my MPB
    Soforbild saved the image to a folder on my machine. I was able check the focus and expression and decide if I needed a second or third shot or not. I run my action, drop the image in our template, chose the crime, and add a goofy name, and print out their wanted poster on a laser printer on a parchment like paper, in less than a minute and a half per a poster.
    It was a great kid activity. The toughest part was making sure I spelled the kid's name and alleged crimes correctly.

9. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

Hey, I saw this thread and thought it would be a neat idea. I'm still very much a novice when it comes to photography, so I like to try all the ideas I see on this forum. However, when I connected my Canon XS (1000D) to my MacBook and opened Image Capture, I opened the "Take Picture" dialog and it only displays a gray box. My camera continually shows that it's busy and I can't take any photos. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Please and thanks!

10. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Try hitting the space bar or the return button or whatever it says to do. I was reading this thread earlier and decided to try it with my old Rebel XT (350D). When i opened the "Take Picture" box, everything appeared to be grayed out, but when i hit either the space bar or return key, it focused and snapped a picture. I could also set it to an interval, which also worked. So basically, even though everything appeared to be just a gray box, it still worked. It didn't offer me the controls that were discussed earlier in this thread, but it did allow me to take pictures. I may just have to use this for time lapse in the future.