Takes ages to boot and shut down plus folder icons are missing. Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cragga, Sep 17, 2012.

1. cragga macrumors newbie

Hi

This is my first post and I'm pretty sure you will have heard this problem before. But I'm after a few opinions on what to do.

Ive got an old 2005 mac mini (pre-Sept 2005 PPC version) running on Mac Os X 10.4.11. Yes, I know it's quite a bit out of date but it's just for home use, as I have a nice new iMac at work with the current Creative Suite on there.

It has worked fantastically for 7 years, but the other night I restarted the mac and forgot that I had left a CD in the drive. Nothing really wrong there you might say. On boot up the fan went mental, and after eventually managing to eject the disc, all of my folder icons had disappeared, although I could get in to them. I can also use applications, burn discs etc. fine still. Almost a week later it's still not showing the icons and it's taking ages to boot up and shut down too.

After a very long while after booting (longer than PC time!) everything seems to be working normally, although a little slow (that's normal for it's age though). However I tried to open a folder last night in the applications folder and got the beach ball of death.

I'm at a bit of a loss what to do. After searching the net I have tried dumping pref lists etc. and all the normal things to do basically. Still doing the same though. So, should I perform an archive and install as I'm really losing my patience now.

Now in an ideal world I would buy a newer model second hand and perhaps run Snow Leopard or even something newer. But I need my InDesign CS (v1) and Photoshop CS (v1) as I am really not forking out for newer versions, as it will cost me a fortune. For home use these really suit me fine. Obviously my mac is at its ceiling in terms of anything higher than 10.4.11 and I have heard horrible things happening when trying to use these ancient versions of InDesign and Photoshop on newer operating systems.

So, with what I have what can I do to resolve the folder icon / slow boot up nightmare and keep my trusty old Adobe applications.

Go easy on me, as I said I know it's an old mac, but it's been rock solid up until now.

:confused:

Cheers

2. chown33 macrumors 604

A failing hard drive can cause those symptoms.

If you have an external drive, you should make a backup. If you don't have any backups, you could buy a bare SATA drive and a USB docking station for SATA drives that connects with USB or Firewire. You'll pay more for Firewire.

You should decide how much it's worth to you to diagnose and fix the problem. It can be a range, as in "I'm willing to pay $100, but I could stretch as high as $250 before abandoning hope".

It might not be a hard drive failing; it could be something else, like the main logic board, that would cost much more to repair. At some point it's more economical to replace the old computer, even if it means buying a compatible yet obsolete used PPC. But if you don't have a budgeted figure, then it's difficult to make practical suggestions.

3. cragga thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

Thanks for your reply, sorry for the late response.

I think I'm going to look for a slightly updated 05/06 mac. Maybe a 1GB 1.42 version so I can just maybe put the first 10.5 leopard on. Do you that will be ok with my indesign cs1?

Cheers