Takes more time to charge than the lifespan??MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jinsou, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Jinsou macrumors regular

Jinsou

Why exactly does the new MBA takes almost 3:30 hours to charge from 0-100%... right now, 90% says 1:15 until full charge, and with wifi only on, and doing usual stuff, mail, safari, downloading.... goes around 2:30 to max 2:40.....Is this me or what is everyone else's experience with the battery

Jin

2. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

he meant MBA as "MacBook Aluminum"...read his sig

but thats about right, thats how long mine takes to fully charge up from dead, and about 1 hour for that last 10-15%

hopefully apple releases a patch to fix the "trickle charge" setting for the Aluminum MacBooks.

4. fandsw macrumors regular

Abbreviation confusion: MBA is short for MacBook Air on this and most other Mac forums/sites.

5. fandsw macrumors regular

Mine does the same, however it might not require a patch, it may be working as designed. Maybe these new smaller batteries and smaller charger provides more battery cycles/lifetime this way. This, of course, is pure speculation on my part.

6. Jinsou thread starter macrumors regular

Jinsou

Sorry about the unclearness of my abbreviation,

Thank you for your reply's, I'm really happy with everything else It's just that i compared with the MBblack, but then again there's no comparison :D

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

yeah i was thinking that too... but then it would just suck if you are trying to get a quick charge out of it like before school or something. but i guess you just have to be more thoughtful about the way you charge and just get used to charging longer...which works perfect for me because i have an outlet right next to my bed thats always open for my power adapter. :)

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I think if you turn the MB off, the charge time drops significantly!

9. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

haha of course! even when its on sleep, it charges faster, thats obvious.

i think we were just talking about using it while charging lol

10. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I'm afraid this is the way of Apple's new notebooks. Smaller battery, different chemistry, longer charge times, higher claimed battery life. My MBP & MBAir are like that too.

11. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Your charge times are normal for the Macbook. I don't understand why it has to take so long to charge either, considering that the iPhone charges so incredibly fast compared to my previous phones that I was expecting my Macbook to charge really fast compared to previous notebooks too.

I've had to adapt my workflow a bit and now usually just charge my Macbook to 80% battery before I unplug it. The first 80% or so charges quite fast but the last 20% is a pain to wait for. Maybe the trickle charge on the last 20% is done to preserve battery life or something, who knows.

12. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I was just giving you a solution for your previous comment on being able to "quick charge" the MB..

13. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

oh no i know, i wasnt trying to be a dick or anything. i was just saying that it makes sense that it would charge faster when it is off/in sleep mode.

14. nyfinest32 macrumors regular

mine has been charging for 3 hrs+ and its off.... wtf?!

15. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

It's all normal, taking much longer time to charge the last few percent of the battery.
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/
    [​IMG]

Why do you care so much about having the battery charged to a 100% anyway?