Taking a product from conception to reality

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sdilley14, May 8, 2013.

1. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I'm wondering if anyone on here has ever "invented" something or even been a part of an invention process. I'm talking about taking a product from conception to reality.

I have an idea for a simple product. Without getting to specific about it, I'll say that it is made of a rubber material, it's about 18"x6", and it would have a couple circular shapes "molded in" at each end. It's a simple idea, a simple design, and I presume it will be a simple product to manufacture as well. It's very much a "duh, why didn't I think of that" type of idea. It's not a consumer product but something geared more towards businesses.

As of now, all I have is an idea and a vision in my head. I have NO idea how to even begin to bring this idea to fruition. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel and I don't think this is a "billion dollar idea" or something crazy like that...but I do see a market for it and I think it would be a fun and interesting journey trying to bring a creative idea like this to life.

Does anyone here have any experience "inventing" something? Any suggestions on where to begin? Any idea at all how much it would cost to take a conceptual design, put it down on paper, and get a patent on it? I'm very clueless on where to go from here.

2. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Anyone? I have an idea for this product referrenced above and I have an idea for another product that is completely unrelated in an entirely different industry (health & beauty to be more specific). I hate having these ideas floating around in my head with no clue on how to act on them.

3. thehustleman macrumors 65816

I hope you get an answer because I have some ideas myself

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Kick start?
    Or get a prototype made and pitch it to some movers and shakers. A bit like Dragons Den. Alternativly by a 3d printer start your own web site and advertise it and sell it yourself.