Taking a Screenshot Causes Hard-Reset

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by orr971, Jan 3, 2017.

1. orr971 macrumors member

orr971

If a simple screenshot on an iPhone causes it to hard-reset (even if the screenshot is done by AssistiveTouch), what is the problem? How can I resolve it?

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

3. orr971 thread starter macrumors member

orr971

You think it's memory related?

4. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

A hard reset = loss of all data on device. Do you mean soft reset, whereby the device simply reboots?

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I am not sure but a friend of mine had a 7 that was somewhat low on memory and trying to take an image would reboot her phone. Just a thought.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Are we talking about memory as in RAM or more of just storage?

7. orr971 thread starter macrumors member

orr971

It simply reboots, like going back to :apple: logo and restarts.

It's an iPhone 5s btw.

8. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

Odd? Are you holding both buttons? Just give em both a quick press.

9. macfacts macrumors 68020

macfacts

Update iOS and reset the iPhone as a new device.

10. orr971 thread starter macrumors member

orr971

Something less extreme?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2017 ---
    It's not my iPhone but she did gave them a quick press and also tried taking a screenshot with the AssistiveTouch square.

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

What? A hard reset/reboot is holding down the power button and home button, or power button and volume down button on an iPhone 7. A soft reset/reboot is holding down the power button and swiping to power off.

Lose of all data on the device is a restore.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like different people call same things differently essentially. Some are more technically correct, some are more correct in common usage, some are just things people are used to, etc.

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

But to say a hard reset wipes all data off your device is incorrect. The OP in this instance is correct in how he is using the terminology. The device is essentially hard reseting by re-springing and there is no loss of data.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's the thing, based on some definitions/usage a hard reset is considered to do that actually:

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/hard-reset-factory-reset-master-reset

http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/VS980/Userguide/075.html

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

But both of those links are for or mention non-Apple products. Its well known in the Apple community what a hard reset vs. soft reset vs. restore is.

Regardless, there is no sense in arguing, but for being on an Apple community forums, the terminology of hard reset = loss of all data is not true.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Wel, things like reboot, restart, reset, etc. are really more generic computing terms that go beyond iPhones or Apple. And even with the Apple environment these things can still have similar usage, for example as mentioned at http://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/how-to-reset-the-iphone/. There are certainly those who use it one way, and those that use it another way. Doesn't quite seem that any particular definition necessarily makes one usage or another 100% right or wrong, more just how people are used to it it seems.

17. orr971 thread starter macrumors member

orr971

You didn't get it.
    It's a hard reset. When you take a screenshot it takes the screenshot and then boom- Apple logo.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

I think ultimately the fact that the phone is restarting is the main issue there (not as much as whether it's a hard or soft reset or something like that--at the very least we've established what it is in this case, which is essentially restart).

19. 576316 macrumors 601

But it's wrong. A reset means to simply reboot the device. A restore means to restore to factory settings. They're totally different terms. You could cause major problems for people by confusing terms.

20. C DM, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017

C DM macrumors Westmere

You can, the problem is that these terms have been and are used somewhat different in different places by different people, and have some things to them up either way. We can all agree on terminology, but someone else can come in from being used to something different and use those meanings. The problem is that multiple meanings exist for some similar/same terms, and most have enough to back them up to be treated as valid (even if another group of people might see them differently).

It's mainly for that reason that I try not to use terms like soft or hard reset, but basically go with a restart, or just reset, and if I'm talking about a full wipe I'll refer to it in some other way, like a full wipe, or a restore, or resetting all settings (and erasing all data).

21. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Not sure why you are telling me I didn't get it when I'm agreeing with you and backing up your statement against the person who says your device is not hard resetting. So hopefully you just quoted the wrong person.

22. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's either a hardware issue or a software issue. If you restore the device with iTunes and set it up as new, and the problem persists, it's a hardware issue and a replacement device may be needed.

23. orr971 thread starter macrumors member

orr971

Yes Im sorry I didn't see that you started discussing resets in general here, I thought you were answering another question.

24. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

This thread is proof we can argue over anything.

25. orr971 thread starter macrumors member

orr971

hahaha!

But really though, what about the problem with the screenshots?