Taking a second hand MacBook to Apple Store...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cronnos, Jan 27, 2009.

1. cronnos macrumors newbie

I recently bought my first MacBook off somebody on Craigslist. I bought it knowing the Superdrive was broken at a very good price. Well, just out of curiosity I typed in the serial number on Apple's Web site, and it still under warranty for three more weeks. I'm very excited and I'm taking it in later today.
    My question is: Would they give me a hard time because the RAM was upgraded to 4GB and I don't have the original memory? I hope they can just fix or replace the drive at the store in a matter of days and I don't have to wait very long...

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If under warranty Apple will cover it, unless it's stolen and original owner have filed a police report with apple under the serial number.

Last time I brought in my mac they check to see how much ram it has. You might want to mention that the ram is upgraded in case they don't check.

3. cronnos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. Now I'm a bit worried about the serial number... But the guy I bought it from seemed very decent, so maybe I shouldn't worry.
    Anyway, do they do replacements there at the store, or should I expect a delay? Any chance they will just replace the whole thing? (Wishful thinking...)

4. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

ZOMG you got lucky with that laptop.

You don't have to worry about updated RAM. It is a user replaceable part and they cannot deny you anything because of it - as long as nothing was broken durring the installiation.

IDK about the serial. For some reason, I don't think they keep track of stolen ones. Besides, it doesn't sound like yours is stolen.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Optical drive replacement depends if they have parts or not. Might be a day or 2 if they have the part.

No they will not give you a new one.

Apple will keep track of stolen goods if you provide evidence:
    serial + police report.

6. cronnos thread starter macrumors newbie

It was definitely a very good deal, specially if they replace the drive and if I can buy the extended warranty before Feb 13. I have an appointment this afternoon at the Apple Store, so I'll report when I come back.

7. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Cool. Let us know what happens. You should be able to buy AppleCare too. In fact, I'd recommend it.

The SuperDrive is a 15-30 minute repair as long as they aren't busy and have the parts on hand.

Good FYI about stolen goods. Never knew that.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Assuming your new used MacBook is only almost one year old, and so is the Apple Care Protection Plan, consider extending the ACPP by two more years, by buying it via eBay.

In 2 years a lot can happen to a notebook.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Assuming your new used MacBook is only almost one year old, and so is the Apple Care Protection Plan, consider extending the ACPP by two more years, by buying it via eBay.

In 2 years a lot can happen to a notebook.

10. Good-Apollo macrumors newbie

Is it legit to buy it from eBay?

11. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Yes, just be aware of the sellers feedback rating and that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

12. Good-Apollo macrumors newbie

*sigh* I just checked my warranty, I thought it had till the end of the month, but turns out its run out... not much i can do now is there?

13. tominco macrumors member

Something sounds fishy. If you had a computer you wanted to sell used that had a broken optical drive with a warranty, wouldn't you get it fixed and then sell it for more money, rather than selling it a deeper discount. It just doesn't make sense.

I'm curious what happens. I hope all works well for you.

14. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Unfortunately, no. I bought my MacBook second hand and my warranty is good until February 2 but I doubt I'll be getting the extended AppleCare. I've not replaced an optical drive, but I have replaced just about everything else on a MacBook so an optical drive shouldn't be too difficult :p

15. cronnos thread starter macrumors newbie

Well guys, as fishy as it sounds, it seems I did get a really good deal because the MacBook is being repaired as we speak, and I should be able to pick it up Sunday at the latest. They expect the parts to arrive Thursday and depending on their workload, the job should get done in a matter of days. They are replacing the drive and even the top case and keyboard because it had a crack in it.
    Now a new question: Can I get an Apple ID even if I'm not the original owner of the Macbook? I was checking out the ACPP and it seems I need an ID to register it if I buy it off a third party. In my case it will probably be eBay, since the prices are way cheaper than the original $250.

16. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Sure you can get an Apple ID. If you ever reformat the system, you'll get the pop-up box asking you to type in your info. I'm sure there are other ways to get to the screen, I just don't know them. I'd recommend reformatting it anyway since it'll brining the software back to new condition.

Also, you can buy AppleCare from eBay. Just make sure it's sealed. Often times people will sell it cheaper on eBay for some reason.

17. tominco macrumors member

I'm glad to see things worked out for you. Sometimes you just get lucky. This sounds like one of those.

As for the ACPP. I don't know what they sell for on eBay, but I've gotten good prices from LA Computer Company.

18. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

apple care on ebay sells for about 135 for a macbook 190 for a macbook pro

19. cronnos thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I saw those $135 ACPP deals on eBay and I think I'm buying it as soon as I get the Mac back from Apple. As for the Apple ID, I did get the screen the first time I loaded the OS, but I didn't fill it out because I didn't know a second owner could. So far I'm very pleased with my first Mac and Apple service in general, and I'll gladly pay for the AppleCare package.
    On a side note, just last week the ring switch on my wife's iPhone broke. We took it to the Apple store and they replaced the whole iPhone! We were in and out of the store with a replacement in 10 minutes. Just really good service overall...