Taking a trip to Chernobyl this summer.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheAppleGeek, Feb 28, 2011.

1. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

This summer (mid-to-late July, is what I'm currently looking at), a group of friends and I are going to visit Chernobyl, the infamous nuclear disaster site in Ukraine. As of right now, the group seems to want to go, but I would love to have some advice for anyone who has been to Chernobyl/Pripyat.

1) What would be the most trustworthy tour guide to go through? I am looking at both Tour2Chernobyl and Tour Kiev. For anyone that has been, could you guide me to a trustworthy tour guide?

2) Currently, my group is about eight people. I'm aiming to get at least ten people going. The price in a "regular" sized group is about $140 - $160 per person and that is only the tour in Kiev, Chernobyl and Pripyat. Do the companies provide some help from getting from ____ to Kiev? I live in Texas, and would like to know the price in total.

I have emailed both websites about both, but I can never get a solid answer.

3) I am not worried about radiation like the world is, as I know I would have to spend at least two weeks straight before any sickness were to occur. But, because there is radiation, and I need a geiger counter, where would be the cheapest place to buy one?

Please let me know anything you have knowledge of, as I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks.

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Really? Really? You'r going to cheap out on that? Really? Really? Oh btw it takes way less than a week of exposure to that amount of radiation to effect you. If you still want to go well, I have no sympathy for you.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

First time I've heard of anyone who wants to head there. Send a postcard..

4. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

You are right. Shortly after posting, I did my own research and discovered Tour Kiev offers a Geiger counter for $140. Not bad.

Well, I have heard a lot of conflicting reports about the amount of time for it to affect you, so thank you. :)

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Considering that the reactor shield is failing and they are worried about more radiation leaking I would say anywhere near the place at this point is not safe.

6. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I was just talking to someone at work about this...

Apparently this guy knows some people who did a motorcycle tour through that area.

Bottom line is he said they never really stopped for any significant amount of time, never touched anything, and rode parallel to each other so that no one was breathing in any dust that may have been kicked up by the guy in front.

Have fun with that.

7. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I don't want to come across as harsh but really, you are asking for trouble heading over there now. As others have said the concrete "solution" is falling apart. As for my qualifications about this, my grandfather is an "X" X-ray technician and I have spent hours debating my own trip to the site too. For the sake of your long term health. Do not go.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-spark-plea-for-radiation-shield-2227550.html

9. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

Thanks for sharing that.

Oh my God. I suppose the trip can wait a while after all.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If you want to challenge fate, climb Everest.

Far safer.

12. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

This is why I want to visit. I can't explain it, but the town is just so intriguing to me. It's empty and completely deserted and we never see this. Yes, it gives me chills and an unbearable silence, but I can't help but wanting to visit there.

13. codymac macrumors 6502

You can buy a CDV-700 on ebay for about $10 - costs about another $70 to have it calibrated.

That is, if you don't mind carrying a lunch pail around with you.
    :)

Surprised you can't just wear a dosimeter.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Citation needed.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Chernobyl, really? Of all the places one can go on this planet and you want to see Chernobyl. May I ask why?

16. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

Like I said above, something about the place absolutely intrigues me. Honest to God, I have an interest with abandoned places.

Morbid? Maybe.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How close can you actually get, I assume the place is still being guarded.

18. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

As far as you want. The restrictions were relaxed recently.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What's wrong with Detroit? :p

20. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I wouldn't risk going to Chernobyl, but I think it would really be a good trip. I wouldn't want the standard tour though. I'd want to see the inners. I'd like to see the core and the general build of the reactor. I'd like to compare it to reactors in the US and other places. I just think it would be fascinating.

21. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

LOL. Ironically, I'm writing a post-apocalyptic book which begins in Detroit. I'm hoping to see how much people will get the Detroit joke.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

A Geiger counter can only tell you if you're being irradiated at the current time, not how much radiation dose you have accumulated. It also doesn't tell you what type of radiation you're absorbing, or what energy.

If this is actually possible in the US, find your state/country's Radiation Protection agency, one that will issue you with a thermoluminescent dosimeter (TLD) or something. Actually, they should issue you with two of them. Both should be carried with you on the flight to and from Kiev, but only one TLD should come with you on your tour of Chernobyl. They can use one as a means of measuring background radiation from the flight and your surroundings, and one to measure the dose you got on your tour.

Oh, and post the results. I want to see numbers. ;)

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Then the Internet is your friend, and barely radio-active.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I read a report that when they build this new containment dome that the workers can be inside for only a few minutes at a time.

25. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727