Taking a vacation; in need of a good portable charger

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TheAppleGeek, Aug 2, 2011.

1. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

I'm taking a five-day vacation soon, and was in-need of a good, fairly cheap portable charger for a MacBook Pro.I plan on using the laptop quite a bit on the road, and would appreciate the help.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

the charger that comes with your mac is fairly portable.

by "on the road" do you mean in the car? if so just get an inverter, plugs into the cigaretter lighter, and has a wall outlet on it. make sure the wattage is high enough to handle your charger. the wattage should be stamped on the charger itself.
    should be able to get one at your local electronics store.

but as a reference.
    45w - airs
    60w - 13" (both macbooks and pros)
    85w - 15" & 17"

apple has patented (or something similar, not quite sure) the magsafe connector, so if you want anything with that on it, you have to go through them.
    for a while there was a company selling batteries with a magsafe cable on them (they would buy the power supplies, and cut the cables off) but apple shut them down.

3. njaremka macrumors 6502

whats wrong with the charger that came with it? i always thought they were very portable?

4. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I should have been more clear. I need a car charger. I definitely plan on bringing the charger it came with.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

just plug that into your cigarette lighter, and plug your existing charger into that, just make sure to check the wattage as mentioned above..

as an example, here's one from amazon, it has more than enough power for you laptop charger, and a USB port if you want to charge your phone or something else. and it's $20

6. vnle macrumors 6502

7. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

Man, just an advice: be careful if you plan to turn your laptop while the car is moving. The hard drive can be damaged, scratch etc. That wont happen if you have a SSD drive, of course.

8. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Also, another word of advice: the power delivered from a vehicle's electric system is extremely dirty. Make sure any inverter you use has heavy filtering and surge protection gear built in or you might damage or even blow your charger, and/or laptop.

In particular, avoid keeping your laptop plugged in to vehicle power while starting the engine.