Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAppleGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
St. Louis
I'm taking a five-day vacation soon, and was in-need of a good, fairly cheap portable charger for a MacBook Pro.I plan on using the laptop quite a bit on the road, and would appreciate the help.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
the charger that comes with your mac is fairly portable.

by "on the road" do you mean in the car? if so just get an inverter, plugs into the cigaretter lighter, and has a wall outlet on it. make sure the wattage is high enough to handle your charger. the wattage should be stamped on the charger itself.
should be able to get one at your local electronics store.

but as a reference.
45w - airs
60w - 13" (both macbooks and pros)
85w - 15" & 17"

apple has patented (or something similar, not quite sure) the magsafe connector, so if you want anything with that on it, you have to go through them.
for a while there was a company selling batteries with a magsafe cable on them (they would buy the power supplies, and cut the cables off) but apple shut them down.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
whats wrong with the charger that came with it? i always thought they were very portable?

TheAppleGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
St. Louis
the charger that comes with your mac is fairly portable.

by "on the road" do you mean in the car? if so just get an inverter, plugs into the cigaretter lighter, and has a wall outlet on it. make sure the wattage is high enough to handle your charger. the wattage should be stamped on the charger itself.
should be able to get one at your local electronics store.

but as a reference.
45w - airs
60w - 13" (both macbooks and pros)
85w - 15" & 17"

apple has patented (or something similar, not quite sure) the magsafe connector, so if you want anything with that on it, you have to go through them.
for a while there was a company selling batteries with a magsafe cable on them (they would buy the power supplies, and cut the cables off) but apple shut them down.

Yes, I should have been more clear. I need a car charger. I definitely plan on bringing the charger it came with.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
get an inverter, plugs into the cigarette lighter, and has a wall outlet on it.

just plug that into your cigarette lighter, and plug your existing charger into that, just make sure to check the wattage as mentioned above..

as an example, here's one from amazon, it has more than enough power for you laptop charger, and a USB port if you want to charge your phone or something else. and it's $20

bruleke

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
Man, just an advice: be careful if you plan to turn your laptop while the car is moving. The hard drive can be damaged, scratch etc. That wont happen if you have a SSD drive, of course.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Also, another word of advice: the power delivered from a vehicle's electric system is extremely dirty. Make sure any inverter you use has heavy filtering and surge protection gear built in or you might damage or even blow your charger, and/or laptop.

In particular, avoid keeping your laptop plugged in to vehicle power while starting the engine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.