Taking advantage of "Spoofed" Clamshell

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mike L2D, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Mike L2D macrumors newbie

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time post.

So I finally have a configuration for my 2010 MBP running 10.7.4 where I can clamshell it and be happy. However, messing around with it I wanted to take it a step further.

I liked the idea of keeping the laptop open to keep proper ventilation. Therefore, I've gone with placing a magnet on the left hand side of the computer to "spoof" the shut shell. However, as it expected it doesn't just pretend that the display is shut, it also assumes that nothing else is really accessible. In my particular case, if I attempt to use Photobooth or iChat, it assumes that the iSight is off. I've tried a few scripts to see if I can forcefully enable it but none have worked. Is there anyway to make use of the built in iSight while spoofing the display?

Thanks for any help!

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

If you have the display open then just take the magnet off and turn the brightness all the way down if you want to use the isight. That's the simplest solution I can think of.

3. Mike L2D thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd rather not drive the Laptop display at all. I see why this works, but it kind of removes the semblance of conservation of power.