taking ages in displaying the transfer details

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zoran, Jul 27, 2014.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

Im transferring my TM backup (its huge, 690GB), to a new drive and its taking ages. Well i knew it would, i just wasnt expecting that it would take so long to estimate the time remaining. Its 3 hours now, and still estimating the time. Is this normal? Im on Snow and if i recall correctly, Windows 7 and 8 have a better (detailed and faster displayed) detailing of the data being transferred!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How is your external drive connected, wifi, or USB? When I restored my Mac from Time Machine once, it was done though the Time Capsule, and if memory serves me, it took between 8 to 16 hours. I don't remember when the estimates started showing up, but I'd let it go. Hopefully you have access to another computer.

That was the turning point for my backup strategy. I now use a combination of Time Machine for simple document/file/folder restores and Carbon Copy Cloner for full system restores. Everything is directly connected to my Mac either by TB or by USB, no longer will I restore through wifi - too slow.

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Well all transfers are done through FW800, thats the fastest port my mid2010 iMac has! :)

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It should be quicker then that - something may be wrong but such a lack of information being reported, its really impossible to know. :(

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

What else would you like to know?