Taking an iMac on a plane as carry-on?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ms.sarcastic, Nov 29, 2011.

1. ms.sarcastic macrumors newbie

I was thinking of getting my parents (who currently live outside the US) an iMac as a gift, but obviously, don't want to check it. Apple products in the country they are at run at 3-4X the price, so it would make much more sense to buy it here and take it to them when I go visit.
    Question is.. has anyone ever taken an iMac on a plane before? Should I unbox it or will I be allowed to take it in the box?
    Thanks!

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

As long as the size of the box fits within your airline's official carry-on size limits, and as long as you don't mind possibly having having to open the box and turn it on, then you should be fine. I've never brought a full size computer onto a plane as carry on, but I did recently just fly with a carry-on of a medium sized home stereo inside a brown box. I put it onto the x-ray conveyor belt with all the other carry on items and it went right through without a problem, they didn't ask to inspect the box further or anything.

However, this was a domestic flight from one state in the US to another state in the US. When you fly internationally the security procedures are always significantly more stringent.

3. foxyfabio macrumors member

And don't say things like "this iMac is THE BOMB!" (even though that statement is true)

4. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Just checked 3 iMacs (in their boxes) for a 3500 mile flight with a connection and it worked out perfectly.

5. Alongtimeago macrumors newbie

Should be possible, I took an HP WHS (windows home server) on a flight from the US to the UK a couple of years ago. Just put it on the carry on scanner at the airport, it was "pulled" and I was questioned what it was. Didn't have to power it up and was allowed on my way. It was unboxed and I took it from a rucksack.

6. zephonic macrumors 65816

zephonic

I've schlepped my '07 iMac (20") thru airport security on three continents in an iLugger. Fits right into the overhead locker.

http://www.ilugger.com/

[​IMG]

7. EdDigitalMac macrumors newbie

It's possible but each airlines are difference.

However do check on the warranty as I believe iMac don' offer an International warranty should anything goes wrong the country they reside in won't be able to repair it for them.

Might be better off just getting them a MacBook Pro or Air as laptop will offer International warranty and would be more convenience should anything goes wrong.

8. ms.sarcastic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone!! Good to know it can be (and has been) done. I don't care if I have to open it, will likely open it and just test it before I take it anyway, but I'd prefer to take it in the box since it will be packed properly.. although the iLugger looks like a great option.. thanks for that tip!
    Jimsowden.. you are braver than me.. I'd be too afraid of the luggage getting lost!
    FoxyFabio.. you made me literally LOL.. will keep that in mind!

And thanks EdDigital.. I didn't think of the warranty.. def something I better look into before getting one!