Taking an ****ing long time to shutdown

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Benjamindaines, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

All of a sudden my MacBook is taking a ****ing long time to shut down. It just sits there with the spinning wheel (not the rainbow one, the shutdown one with the spokes), I can hear the hard drive spinning, but it's not accessing anything on it (no clicks). Any idea why this would be?

Last time I tried to shut it down it sat for 5 minutes at that screen before I had to force it off by holding down the power button.

2. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

What programs are running (if any) when you go to shut down the computer?

3. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

iChat, Mail, Safari, Transmission. All the latest versions.

4. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Ok try shutting down every program you have running, before you shut down the computer. That should do the trick.

5. adauge macrumors regular

adauge

No, I have the same problem and I have tried shutting down everything. It happens often to me.

6. craggles macrumors newbie

Extended shutdown

I've started having the same problem recently - and annoyingly it's after a full re-install.

I'd forgive it for 5, and maybe 10mins but 30mins is a bit much which is when I drop the Mac with the 10sec power key push. :(

I'm having problems in general on top of that though - My 'afpfs.kext' file in my System/Library/filesystems/appleshare folder is apparently not installed correctly and it looks like it'll be a full blank install and start again a fresh as no matter how many OS installs with 'copy user data' I do, the problem is still there.

So a big brand spanking new install may fix both problems.

let's hope so anyway! :confused:

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i've ran into this problem before, and i haven't found a solution. Another friend has had this problem too..

it just wont shut down. All apps running have been closed, but the shutdown keeps timing out stating a program that already has been shut down is still running, and canceled th shutdown. :confused:

luckily i haven't encountered the issue lately.

try all the usuals, PRAM reset, SMC reset, and permission fix i guess.

8. Snowbound macrumors regular

I had this problem last night, actually. It happened after azureus crashed and I told it to relaunch. It never started back up, so I tried to force quit. It wouldn't force quit either, so I tried to restart. No luck shutting down. Any thoughts from the pro users out there?

9. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Azureus sucks, i use it cause it's the best bittorrent client there is (save uTorrent) but it takes an age to quit and often hangs if you try and force quit.. it is getting better but i'm afraid it's just one of those things you have to put up with cause your only other real option is transmission which isn't enough (for me at least)

10. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

Usually, I would switch my Mac off just before I go to bed, I turn down the brightness and switch off everything, usually I have my Mac connected to another screen so it really doesn't bother me, by the time my Mac has shutdown, I would be sleeping already, so if you go out or anything, I suggest you put down the screen and just make it sleep or something, thats what I usually do.

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i prefer transmission, just as light as uTorrent.

12. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

yeh, i used it for a bit. it's super-light, pops up practically instantly and has improved a lot but I still need the functionality and plugins available with Azureus.

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It's not suppose to take that long. Anyway, you should try SLEEP instead of shutdown.

For those running torrents. I suspect something you download wasn't quite up to standards. If you don't install questionable software, OSX runs great.

14. dantidote macrumors member

This almost always happens to me when shared smb folders are stuck at connecting...