taking an old iphone overseas

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by saranee, May 13, 2013.

1. saranee macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am going to be traveling to London and visiting for about 5 months. I am currently on Verizon and have a Verizon plan, so I know that I can't use my phone overseas. They have an international plan, but the minutes are still really expensive even with that plan.

I use to be with AT&T and had an Iphone with them. I threw it in a drawer when I left AT&T and figured I would recycle it at some point. I just realized that I could probably use that old Iphone, have it unlocked and take it with me and use that with a local UK sim card for a much cheaper price since it has an AT&T sim card slot at the top.

Problem is, I don't know if this I phone is a quad band GSM phone or not. How can I find out. If it isn't, then it won't do me any good over seas.
    I went to the "general" tab and it says it's an Iphone 3G 8gb version 4.2.1 (8C148) phone. Model MB702LL.

Is there a folder on the phone that would tell me?

Any help you can provide would be appreciated....

Sarb

2. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

Yep!

It's a quad band phone. Call up AT&T (google iPhone att unlock number, I forgot it ATM) and if the phone has been paid off (it has) and hasn't been marked stolen, they'll unlock it for free.

When you get to england, you can sign up for a SIM plan there.

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Which Verizon phone do you have now? If its an iPhone 5, it's already unlocked and has a gsm radio in it. Just pop in the local SIM card in England and you're good to go. And I though the Verizon 4S also has a SIM card slot for overseas traveling. If you have a Verizon iPhone 4, then yea you're out of luck and need to use your old AT&T phone.