Taking Battery out and just run with power adaptor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 4y4m, Nov 10, 2008.

1. 4y4m macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I Have a old model of the mbp which i bought not too long ago. I'm just wondering will it be alright if i take out the battery and just run the laptop with just the power supply???

I used to have a dell laptop and when I'm at home i jst take the battery out and run it with just the power supply and everything works out fine.

I heard that the battery of the laptop doesn't last very long by doing this it will actually save the battery life as what happened with my dell laptop.

cheers

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

The laptops will do a trickle charge for the battery when it is plugged in and only if it dropped below 95% or so. There is no harm in keeping it plugged in with the battery in it. Just exercise the battery once a month.

3. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

like the poster above me said, as long as you use your battery and let it drain a lot once in a while the battery won't suffer...

4. six.four macrumors 6502

I like to take my battery out when it is plugged in. While it's true apple has a "trickle" charge function, the (massive) heat from the MBP still causes wear on the battery.

However, I found that taking out the battery trips some sort of throttling - my 2.4ghz MBP will not go over 1.2ghz when the battery is removed.

Anybody know how to remove this limitation?

5. ghettochild macrumors regular

Many here will argue against taking out the battery. There's even an article on apple.com that argues against taking it out.

That said, I take out the battery when my (classic) MBP is hooked up to the Cinema Display on my desk (which it is most of the time). I use the battery at least once a month for a full cycle, recharge, and then store it at 40%.

I've been doing it that way with my previous PB G4, and after 3 years the battery still had 96% of its original capacity.

6. taphil macrumors regular

Do some more searching for additional info, but it's a bad idea because without the battery, the MBP throttles down the CPU speed.

7. Mercurox macrumors newbie

battery or adapter

This is exactly the question i am searching a definitive answer for as I used to take the battery out and use the adapter most of the time (with my Sony Vaio) but I saw in another thread about the meltdown of the MacSafe adapter, so I am not suppose to use the adapter all the time and neither should I use the battery all the time as it will wear out, it is like caught between a rock and a hard place! :confused:

8. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Don't worry about the magsafe burning up. It was a problem with the way the wires went into the connector and has been solved for the most part.

Removing the battery will throttle down the cpu to around 1ghz. It also greatly increases the chance of a complete system crash caused by the slightest bump to the magsafe and cutting the power. Your computer and HD will not like that.

Just use the battery and AC however you want. If your battery has a problem, Apple is more likely than not going to replace it. Same if you have a magsafe problem. Problems with power = big lawsuits when batteries explode and houses burn down. They want defects out of the system asap.

9. CaffeMacchiato macrumors member

Are there any proof for this statement? Any quote from the Apple website?

10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Just curious

Ive had my MBP for three months. Im up to about 45 cycles, at the rate im going, im just wondering if its gotta hurt by running the battery so much. I just use it for school and cant always plug in. Well that and i like the freedom of movement around the apt.

11. rolex54 macrumors 6502

well your gonna wear it out faster by using it more, thats just how batteries work. Then when it gets so awful you get like 30 minutes of battery then you buy a new one.

12. AquaMethod macrumors member

The real problem is that it's very easy to bump the MagSafe connector, and it'll come right off...shutting your computer off quite abruptly. Just be careful of that.

13. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

wait, don't you lose performance when you use only the power adapter?

14. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I'd leave the battery in. The charging circuits these days are very advanced - and it won't "cook" or over charge the battery by keeping it in.

On top of that - some designs actually require the battery for additional filtering and surge protection. (the power supply may not be "clean" enough alone - and the battery acts as a filter) Also in scenarios where the computer (for whatever reason) requires a quick surge in current - the battery will take over to share the load.

And ditto the comment on power interruption or failure.

15. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

Can you do this with the late 08 MacBook pro?