Taking faulty charger back to genius bar...question?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Souljas, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Souljas macrumors regular

Hi, my macbook charger decided to melt and I am going to take it back to the GB to see if I can get a replacement.

-The problem is that my original charger failed outside of the warranty period, and was given a replacement by John Lewis (a UK department store) as they offer a free extra year warranty. The charger was taken from another computer.

-I know that Apple GB will ask me for my macbook serial number if I go there, but will it matter if the charger is from a different computer than my original macbook? Can they tell that the charger is from a different computer and not my macbook?

Any help will be much appreciated as it will possibly save me a long journey...
    Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The problem is with the charger, not the Macbook. I wouldn't even bring it. They shouldn't care whether or not it's the "included" charger or not.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Also, the problem is John Lewis's. I'd take it there first.

4. Souljas thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the replys, I took the charger into the Apple Store and they wanted to know my macbook's serial number before they replace it :confused:. Does anyone know if the the macbook and charger are linked somehow?

5. Zanthus macrumors member

Hey,

I don't think the serial number of your laptop will reveal you have a different charger !

Although if its a charger from say a macbook pro they gave you rather than a macbook they are slightly different so that may have caused the problem, so they would know if it was the wrong charger in that case

Hope that helps

Craig

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They probably just want to know that you have bought a computer as opposed to finding a charger on the street and bringing it in.

7. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

They want to know if it's under warranty or if they charge you for a new one...

8. fsdnm macrumors newbie

just wondering what happened, were they able to tell it wasn't the original charger?

9. chscag macrumors 68000

Take note of the date of this thread... it's more than 5 years old. ;)