Taking faulty Macbook Pro to genius bar...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1ncr3du10u5, Apr 3, 2008.

1. 1ncr3du10u5 macrumors member

After an hour on the phone to Apple support, I've been advised to take my Macbook Pro (still under warranty) to a Genius bar. My question is will they be able to fix it on site, send it away (and if so how long) or will it simply be replaced? The main fault is that the optical drive wont burn dual-layer disks but along with that the screen has several dull white blurry marks/lines that really shouldn't be present on a top of the range laptop. Oh, and my creature speakers pick up a tinny noise through the headphone socket on this laptop that they didn't from my old iMac but I understand that that isn't considered a fault. :(

Luckily I'm going away on holiday for 3 weeks soon so it wont be missed if it's gone for repair but can I expect it gone for longer?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If it's faulty and you request it to get it fixed at the store, they will order the part if it's not in stock and then call you to bring it in when the part comes in. Otherwise I believe it takes about a week for the repair if you send it in.

3. 1ncr3du10u5 thread starter macrumors member

This is not good, I have to do a 3 hour trip for this as it is. Can't they keep it at the store and post it to me when it's done? It is, after all their fault.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well yeah of course they can always leave it. I think it only takes a few hours for the job anyways. The other option is to call AppleCare, they overnight you a box, you send it in, they repair it and they overnight it back.