Taking Files Off Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by FSMBP, Feb 28, 2009.

1. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I had a question regarding Time Machine. (I saw a simliar thread but not with a clear answer and different question).

I have Time Machine set up to my external to back up only my Home Folder (My Music, Movies etc.).

If I decided to do a fresh install of Mac OS X (for whatever reason), could I still grab my files off from Time Machine (the files it backed up before I reinstalled)?

My main question is, would there be any issues with permission (since technically it wouldn't be the same user trying to grab the files).

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Yes.

There should be no problems so long as you don't have any whacky rules or anything about access limitations. If you do, just eliminate them and do one last backup before you re-install, and everything will be fine (I would personally recommend that you do a complete, i.e. not just your home folder, backup before you re-install. Time Machine has saved my life a few times when an install DVD magically crapped out mid-install...)

3. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

4. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

No problem.
    Keep in mind that Time Machine more or less acts the same as files currently on your computer when it is plugged in, in that you can browse, manipulate, delete, etc.
    It just has the added bonus of backing up EVERYTHING (if you set it to), so an install DVD has to do nothing other than copy things bit-for-bit back onto the boot drive if you want to restore off of it.