Taking in phone to get replaced by Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kbty824, Jun 3, 2015.

1. kbty824 macrumors member

I have a question regarding the refurbished phones that Apple gives to you when you take your defective one in for exchange....will the refurbished phones have a brand new battery in it?

2. kbty824 thread starter macrumors member

3. Hot12345 macrumors 6502

Yes they have a new front and back (outside case) a new battery.

Don't get me wrong, a refurbished phone is actually better then a normal phone, why? I bought a new iphone 6+ but has a few screen problems, and sensors problems. With a replacement, i look at the model number and that was different. So i know at that moment that phone i had was a refurbished phone.

So the components are a new or used in other devices. But they tested it out! Before gets in a phone.

But you always have a new screen, front and back unibody/shell in plastic.

4. david91 macrumors regular

yes.. refurbished phones are have new batteries that come with it .

5. nox5 macrumors 6502

I was told by apple tech all replacements are brand new from factory and not refurbished.

6. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

B.S. When the new models are first released, warranty replacements are new, because there are no devices to refurbish. However, as time goes by, Apple accumulates a cache of devices which go through the refurbishing process. That process is quite intense process during which the device is gone over meticulously, and where anything needing attention is given that attention. The screen, the case and the batteries are typically replaced. The result of all of this is a device that is as good or better than a new one, if for no other reason that the care and attention placed upon them.

7. nox5 macrumors 6502

No all of them are brand new and all old ones/broken are destroyed

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Whoever told you that was incorrect. The replacement units that Apple gives out are refurbished.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When a new iPhone is released, there are not enough (or any) refurbished phones in the inventory to replace broken models. So early on if you got a replacement for warranty work, you'd get a brand new phone.

For example in the early months after the 6+ was released, if you had to exchange it because something was defective you'd get a brand new iPhone 6+. Today, did that, you'd only get a refurb.

So its understandable that some people would be under the impression that apple hands out brand new phones for replacements - they actually did for a time.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I understand that. I was specifically replying to the comment that Apple scrapped all returned phones and only gave out new replacements.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wasn't sure, so I wanted to make the clarification because some people could be under the wrong impression :)

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

That is simply not true. The tech should be ashamed for telling this.

13. nox5 macrumors 6502

They have to provide new iPhones because all replacements have brand new serial numbers and old ones cannot be reused again. So yes all replacements are brand new and you are wrong.

14. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Ok, if you say so. What color is the sky in your world, anyway?

15. Hot12345, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2015

Hot12345 macrumors 6502

Look, the old ones is gonna though a test bank, for example is if the screen is broke, the camera module and the wifi module is gonna re-use, but you always get a new battery and outside case

16. Newtons Apple, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Apple can change serial numbers at will. :rolleyes:

Amazing how some get though life not knowing what is going on. So you think Apple just throws them away? LOL! OK if you say so:p

17. Hot12345 macrumors 6502

Old serie numbers are destroyed, i have a model version nyo14 this is refurbished phone, why? Because the new phone has a modelnumber Myo14, so that are the difference. If you have a other modelnumber you have then clearlya refurbhishd

18. Hot12345 macrumors 6502

Ngaj2zd/a this is my modelnumber, the other phone i bought was a Mgaj2zd/a , otherwise i had the same modelnumber but thats not the case.

So this one is different and its a refurbished phone

19. nox5 macrumors 6502

Some of you are like sheep all following one another. I know for the fact that all replacements at Apple Store are brand new iPhones. On the other hand replacements at carrier's store are refurbished.

20. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

And the tooth fairy is real!

21. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

22. Hot12345, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2015

Hot12345 macrumors 6502

Thats not true!

Who said to you that all phones are new? Yes its new in the way that nobody use it. The outer case is new with the battery. But the viberator is maby from a other iphone 6+ model, because thats was not broken, so they use that for next use

23. Hot12345 macrumors 6502

If you buy a new one in the retail store that are the complete new ones.