Taking in phone to get replaced by Apple Store

kbty824

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
I have a question regarding the refurbished phones that Apple gives to you when you take your defective one in for exchange....will the refurbished phones have a brand new battery in it?

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
I have a question regarding the refurbished phones that Apple gives to you when you take your defective one in for exchange....will the refurbished phones have a brand new battery in it?

Yes they have a new front and back (outside case) a new battery.

Don't get me wrong, a refurbished phone is actually better then a normal phone, why? I bought a new iphone 6+ but has a few screen problems, and sensors problems. With a replacement, i look at the model number and that was different. So i know at that moment that phone i had was a refurbished phone.

So the components are a new or used in other devices. But they tested it out! Before gets in a phone.

But you always have a new screen, front and back unibody/shell in plastic.

nox5

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
I was told by apple tech all replacements are brand new from factory and not refurbished.

dwfaust

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2011
I was told by apple tech all replacements are brand new from factory and not refurbished.
B.S. When the new models are first released, warranty replacements are new, because there are no devices to refurbish. However, as time goes by, Apple accumulates a cache of devices which go through the refurbishing process. That process is quite intense process during which the device is gone over meticulously, and where anything needing attention is given that attention. The screen, the case and the batteries are typically replaced. The result of all of this is a device that is as good or better than a new one, if for no other reason that the care and attention placed upon them.

Reactions: ABC5S and eyoungren

nox5

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
B.S. When the new models are first released, warranty replacements are new, because there are no devices to refurbish. However, as time goes by, Apple accumulates a cache of devices which go through the refurbishing process. That process is quite intense process during which the device is gone over meticulously, and where anything needing attention is given that attention. The screen, the case and the batteries are typically replaced. The result of all of this is a device that is as good or better than a new one, if for no other reason that the care and attention placed upon them.
No all of them are brand new and all old ones/broken are destroyed

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Whoever told you that was incorrect. The replacement units that Apple gives out are refurbished.
When a new iPhone is released, there are not enough (or any) refurbished phones in the inventory to replace broken models. So early on if you got a replacement for warranty work, you'd get a brand new phone.

For example in the early months after the 6+ was released, if you had to exchange it because something was defective you'd get a brand new iPhone 6+. Today, did that, you'd only get a refurb.

So its understandable that some people would be under the impression that apple hands out brand new phones for replacements - they actually did for a time.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
When a new iPhone is released, there are not enough (or any) refurbished phones in the inventory to replace broken models.
I understand that. I was specifically replying to the comment that Apple scrapped all returned phones and only gave out new replacements.

Reactions: ABC5S

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I understand that. I was specifically replying to the comment that Apple scrapped all returned phones and only gave out new replacements.
I wasn't sure, so I wanted to make the clarification because some people could be under the wrong impression :)

nox5

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
That is simply not true. The tech should be ashamed for telling this.
They have to provide new iPhones because all replacements have brand new serial numbers and old ones cannot be reused again. So yes all replacements are brand new and you are wrong.

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
They have to provide new iPhones because all replacements have brand new serial numbers and old ones cannot be reused again. So yes all replacements are brand new and you are wrong.
Look, the old ones is gonna though a test bank, for example is if the screen is broke, the camera module and the wifi module is gonna re-use, but you always get a new battery and outside case

Last edited by a moderator:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Apple can change serial numbers at will. :rolleyes:

Amazing how some get though life not knowing what is going on. So you think Apple just throws them away? LOL! OK if you say so:p

Last edited:

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015

Old serie numbers are destroyed, i have a model version nyo14 this is refurbished phone, why? Because the new phone has a modelnumber Myo14, so that are the difference. If you have a other modelnumber you have then clearlya refurbhishd

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
Ngaj2zd/a this is my modelnumber, the other phone i bought was a Mgaj2zd/a , otherwise i had the same modelnumber but thats not the case.

So this one is different and its a refurbished phone

nox5

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
Some of you are like sheep all following one another. I know for the fact that all replacements at Apple Store are brand new iPhones. On the other hand replacements at carrier's store are refurbished.

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
Some of you are like sheep all following one another. I know for the fact that all replacements at Apple Store are brand new iPhones. On the other hand replacements at carrier's store are refurbished.
Thats not true!

Who said to you that all phones are new? Yes its new in the way that nobody use it. The outer case is new with the battery. But the viberator is maby from a other iphone 6+ model, because thats was not broken, so they use that for next use

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.