Taking Ipad on trip and backing up photos

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mikeheenan, Mar 17, 2012.

1. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

Hello all, I am planning on going on a couples months trip to Thailand, and will be taking my DSLR and possibly my Ipad. I am thinking about buying the camera connector kit for it. Is it possible to import directly from the SD card to a storage app, like Box.net or Dropbox? I only have the 16GB ipad, so I don't have a lot of storage space.

2. Shamrock13 macrumors newbie

Shamrock13

I'm pretty sure you'll have to transfer to the device and then to the service... Though don't quote me on that as I'm not too sure.

3. Jen78 macrumors newbie

yes and no

You need to import first into the photos app and then to wherever.

I'm doing the same thing but my trip will be much longer. I import then upload to Picasa online storage ($20 for 80GB for the year). I have a iPad 2 wifi + connection kit + a phone with 3G data plan to make a hotspot. It is often very slow, even with 3G. I wish I could back up to an external hard drive that is not as pricey as the hyperdrive thing.

I chose Picasa as it stores all the exif data (my camera has GPS) and is quite cheap really. At the moment I have a problem with the system and uploading edited photos which I've put in a different post.

Good luck with it, I wish I had an Air instead of an iPad quite often at the moment.

4. Romeoscromeosc macrumors newbie

You need an AirStash+. It allows you to copy files to and from your iPad or IOS DEVICE to a SD card wirelessly even in wild!

Works great!

5. mikeheenan thread starter macrumors 6502

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

If you anticipate a need for lots of storage then consider something like this:

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-iPad-Hard-Drive-s/183.htm