Taking iPhone 4 on road trip from Jersey to California.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DavieBoy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

Just wanted to explain my adventure because Apple products are a big part of it.

Friends and I are leaving in the morning to drive across the country from New Jersey to San Diego.

The initial concept that snowballed into this adventure was that "Places" in our iPhoto libraries looked stupid with so few pins in it.

So where driving and will be constantly taking pics and videos with our iPhones to make our places look better. I just think it will be cool to have places show our route across the country. I will also try to make a few short videos with iMovie for iPhone.

We will not exactly be roughing it. We got our hands on a high top conversion van outfitted with a 22" LCD TV with DVD. I have also connected my mac mini media center to the car so we have all the movies & TV I ripped. (We mainly plan on watching road trip movies like dumb and dumber & road trip)

We also went out and picked up a MiFi so we can work and surf while on the road.

Any suggestions of where we should stop. Would also like to hear from others who have taken road trips, what should we expect?

Thanks, DavieBoy

2. Roric macrumors regular

Not so much a suggestion of where to go as much as a suggestion of where not to go. Don't go purely on the interstate system. Take state and us highways. You miss so much by staying on the interstate. It will take you longer, but isn't that part of the object? :cool:

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I can make a few suggestions for the West Coast side of your road trip. If you haven't been there, make a stop at Zion and Bryce National Parks, they're pretty amazing. Also, the Grand Canyon is a very nice place to stop. And once you reach San Diego, the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park are both great zoos :)

4. DavieBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

I do not know our exact route yet. I know we are staying north then cutting down through Colorado.

We are stoping in Denver, then going to the four corners to throw a baseball around the horn in four different states.

Then to the Grand Canyon. From there Vegas for the night. Then to San Diego.

I think on the way back we will stay south to see different things.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How long are you planning to spend on this trip?

EDIT: Seriously this should help people plan your trip, you could do it in theory in 2 weeks, or you could take 3 months (or maybe longer - there's a lot to see).

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

7. ethical macrumors 68000

8. Aero26 macrumors regular

I agree. I can't give you much as I've never left my little corner of the east coast but it's a shame some people are born, raised, educated, work, retire, and die in their city while America is big as...

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And there's still the rest of the world to see as well ;).

10. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I love your transport, isn't a road trip meant to be minimalist and a bit like backpacking with a car?

Places is the motivation for my next like 5 holidays. Need. More. Pins :p

11. DavieBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

Maybe, ha, I dont see it that way. My idea of minimalism was not having 3G coverage. PA was horrible when it came to coverage. Then I lost 3G while trying to sling the all-star game.

I will post some pics of the ride tomorrow. I did a okay job installing the Mini.

The bad news is that we are staying with the interstate system, we have to back by next Wednesday.

FYI: Now in Iwoa.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

I second the Zion National Park/Bryce Canyon recommendation. Bryce is just amazing.

I went on a road trip a number of years ago, and we hit Bryce and later on we hit the Grand Canyon. I was much more impressed with Bryce. The GC was awesome, but the colors at Bryce were just amazing.

+1 on the SD Zoo as well.