Taking literally days to install 10.9?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by darnocs, Nov 3, 2013.

1. darnocs macrumors regular

My MacBook Pro (2010 model) was being really slow for some reason. On second thought, I should have reset the SMC before installing…but I didn't. So I downloaded and started the installation of OS X Mavericks at 3 PM yesterday afternoon. It's been over 24 hours and still not installed yet. The computer's fans are running really high and the ETA is stuck at about "11 minutes" (although it sometimes rises to like 15 minutes). The progress bar is fully loaded. I'm gonna let it sit, but since the progress bar is fully loaded, how badly would I hurt the computer and my data by forcing it to restart if it doesn't finish by tonight?

2. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Sounds like you have a failing hard drive. Mavericks installed on my iMac in 15 minutes. If the fans are running high and it's taken already 24 hours then something is wrong. Did you not backup your files first?

3. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Wow....here is a question

Did you do a complete system backup before you began the upgrade? The reason I ask is I believe your system is not installing anything but rather it is 'stuck' or locked so you're going to need to reboot and restart the process. IT should only take about 45 minutes to install 10.9. I've done it 3 times and that is my observation.

Also, when you do restart, make sure you reset SMC, PRAM and also use disk utility to repair your HD and also repair permissions.

Sorry I have not good news for you....

4. Jpeppard macrumors newbie

Definitely sounds like a failed hard drive, you will need to replace it and use internet recovery http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718 to install mountain lion, then upgrade to Mavericks again.

If you didn't have your data backed up to an external disk before starting the upgrade (for shame) you should be able to take the hard drive out and mount it to another system.

Good luck.

5. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Lol why does everyone thing his hard drive died... Just force shutdown by holding the power button. Then start back up.

Happened to me 2 times during the beta period didn't have any problems either times.