Taking Mac Mini to Germany?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Davaadtron, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Davaadtron macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So I'm going to be studying abroad in Berlin for a year, and I want to take my Mac Mini since it has everything I use on a daily basis. (And it's kind of my only option - I don't have a laptop)

Would it work to by a power strip over there in Berlin and then use a voltage converter for the Mini and another converter for the monitor? I'd assume it would work, but I don't want to fry my hardware or anything...

Or can you buy a European power cord for the Mini? Or would that not work?

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question; I know nothing about power conversion :p
    Thanks.

2. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

First look at the specs, some apple stuff is like 100-240 V so you won't need a power convertor, just an european power cord.

3. Davaadtron thread starter macrumors newbie

I just read that the power adapter that it comes with (it says right on the adapter) takes up to 240v, so it'll work :)

One more question; I want to take my monitor with me as well. If I pack it in my suitcase surrounded by clothes and blankets do you think it'll survive the trip?

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I would buy some bubble wrap and wrap it with bubble wrap and then put it in the suitcase, just to be safe.

5. trule macrumors 6502

There is a weight limit for luggage...worth to check, monitors are cheap in Germany.

6. Davaadtron thread starter macrumors newbie

7. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Yea, you won't need a voltage converter, just an adapter for the plug itself (see Wikipedia).

8. trule macrumors 6502

7 kg monitor...if your bag is over 23 Kg expect an additional fee. Check with your airline to be sure