Taking macbook isight and modding to USB?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by smee, Jan 9, 2009.

1. smee macrumors member

smee

I don't know if the title makes much sense, but what I'm wondering... is if I get a MBP isight camera like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270324603785

And mod it (somehow...) to connect to my comp via a regular USB cable....

Does anybody know how I would go about doing something like this? Not sure what connections are on the isight for mbp....

Please help me out, as I don't want to shell out $150+ on a real iSight camera, nor do I want to pay for a new mac with isight...
    I would just go for a Logitech, but with mac they don't support autofocus (even though it claims too, all the reviews I've read say it doesn't work).

:eek:
    ~Parker

2. smee thread starter macrumors member

smee

3. qacjared macrumors regular

4. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I'm assuming (if i'm not right then I don't know) the built in isight operates off of a usb bus. So first figure out which lanes are for data and which ones for power on that thin ribbon strip. I assume it has 4 lanes which would match up with a usb cable. After you figure that out you could just i

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I think the iSight on MacBooks (not pros though) run through firewire... not sure. Either way, it's not worth the time and effort. You save a few bucks, but waste lots of time.

6. smee thread starter macrumors member

smee

Reason why is because theres only a handful of webcams that support Autofocus under mac OS, all the cheap ones I've found (including the IceCam2) don't...

I need a high quality webcam, now I really liked the iSight on the imac's/macbook's, but it seems to much hassle now to get one from a macbook and mod it to USB cable... : /
    And the external iSight camera's are just WAY to expensive for my liking... I wish Apple would make a new one... :rolleyes:

Anyhow, still not sure what to do with the webcam thing... I need it to use Skype, iChat, iMovie HD/iMovie 08, PhotoBooth... and all that.
    And it needs to have a decent video quality, sound quality, and AutoFocus.
    Anybody know of a Mac Compatible webcam like that? (remember, not looking to brake bank here, $80 max'ish... :T)