Taking Macbook Pro back to Apple.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karkid, Feb 1, 2011.

1. karkid macrumors member

Hey guys i Need to take my 2010 Macbook pro 15 i7 back to apple because the bezel is detached, from the screen(i have the anti glare model)

just wondering if i should take out my 80GB intel SSD and put back in the original HDD or will the SSD in there be ok? basically will they say they won't do anything because i changed the hard drive?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Definitely take out the SSD. Even if it didn't cause an issue, you're liable to lose it. I have heard that sometimes they will take them out and replace them with HDDs even if they don't replace the machine.

3. hammie14 macrumors regular

hammie14

I would change it back just so they cant say anything and refuse to repair it :cool:

They may also just replace the machine so you will want your SSD

4. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

ouch! that's just cruel.. why would they do that

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

They replace parts with the stock parts linked to the serial number. If they see you bought a computer with a 500GB HDD and they replace the hard drive, they replace it with a 500GB HDD. If they replace the entire computer, they will replace it with a 500GB HDD or whatever is closest to what you purchased. More than likely they would contact you first, but it is not worth risking, especially as they do replace entire computers.

6. ender land macrumors 6502a

It's way easier for you to keep track of what happens with modifications you made to the laptop than for Apple ;)

7. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

interesting, since legally they can't do that without your permission.

8. vsighi macrumors 6502

vsighi

...no one will take your SSD out and replaced with a standard hard drive...we not in Romania...:D
    Just tell the :apple: guy when you check in that you have a SSD ( give his the specs )inside...and make shore he will put that on the service receipt.

9. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Not sure if you have been reading the forums lately, but there is just such a report from a member. Had a SSD when he brought the unit in for repair, didn't have one when he got it back, and Apple denied that they knew anything about it.

10. Remmnever macrumors member

I read that thread too. I was also on the phone with apple customer support yesterday, I initially called to ask for a replacement OSX disc because my kids scratched mine. They said they would send a replacement free and then I asked about voiding my warranty by replacing the ram and hard drive.

The person I was talking to didn't seem like he knew what he was talking about but he said it won't void the warranty if you upgrade the ram but it will void the warranty if you upgrade the hard drive. Again he didn't seem to know for sure because he was stumbling on his words and said "I think" replacing the hard drive will void your warranty.

Anyway I would put the stock one back in there just in case.

11. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

The hd is user replaceable, even the apple manual shows you how to do it. It will not void your warranty but be sure to have the upgrade noted on your work order incase they do accidentally put a stock one in

You don't have to go through the effort of putting the old one back in but if it makes you feel better then go for it

12. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Technically, yes. But a lot of the time, apple store employees have little to no idea what they are talking about. I brought in my computer which was out of warranty (didn't bother with applecare, as the retailer I got it from offered something similar, but free) to the apple store to get the hard drive screw replaced. The employee said that replacing the hard drive would void my warranty (which it wouldn't), and had a pretty nasty attitude about it. I wouldn't be surprised if they had something that released them from liability for anything during repairs.

13. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Here in the our state, we have a quirky term called theft.

Imagine you took your car into Ford to have the fuel tank repaired under warranty and they removed your high-end Sony car stereo system because its not 'stock'.

In other words, that would never happen. The worst would be that they format the drive but they aren't going to do that. A bezel/screen issue has nothing to do with the HD.

-P

14. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I wasn't saying it was legal, and it's complete bull, but it has happened.

15. pricej636 macrumors 6502

For Pete's sake... don't leave your SSD in your machine.

I was the one who got his SSD stolen at an apple store. It was a ridiculous hassle and I will never tempt fate like that again. Take the hour or so, copy your SSD to your stock HDD or some other spinner drive you have and take that in with your computer.

16. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

bezel?

Ok, nevermind. I just looked it up and I understand. I always thought it was called a "frame".

17. Jman14 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Take out the SSD. Often times with warranty work, they blame the none stock parts on the cause... In your case it would be irralavent, but I wouldn't risk it.

18. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I'd have to agree.
    Even though I know the wiser, when I upgraded my MBP's (15" i5) stock 320GB HDD to a 128GB SSD a few months ago, I took it to the Apple Store in hopes a Genius could do it because I could not find a Torx driver to fit the HDD Caddy screws.
    Long story short, at the end, after nicely doing it for me, the Genius told me that if I were ever to take the computer in for service, to replace the SSD with the stock drive, as "We don't support the computer without the stock drive in it"
    (His exact words.)

19. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I just had Apple replace my logic board in my 2010 MBP. I had a 640GB Samsung HDD in it, not stock. They didn't seem to have a problem with it.

20. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

You will should be fine. It certainly does not void the warranty on the unibody models.
    If it were me I would still put the stock drive back in tho, better safe than sorry as getting it back from Apple could be a pain if they screw up.

21. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

You guys need to keep in mind that "Apple" isn't so much to blame for stolen HDDs as the individuals that work on your computers are...people will always be people ;)