Taking MBP to Apple Store...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fox11, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Fox11 macrumors member

I'm taking my 2.4Ghz SR MBP in for a dead Nvidia 8600GT gpu either today or tomorrow [depends on how much my loong backup process takes to finish]. I had a few questions before I go:

1-I swapped my 200gb HD for a 500gb- no problems w/ install, it's still working great! Should I swap the old one back in before taking it? I'd rather not to save myself the stress of having to open my MBP twice more [swap out and then eventual swap-back-in].

2-Is there any way Apple can install a different logic board/gpu that isn't an 8600GT? Because it sounds to me like all of these chips are faulty and I just can't afford to fix it or buy a new one when the extended warranty is up, and because this is the only problem I've ever had with it that was serious enough for a trip to the store, I'm doubtful that they'd offer me a replacement unit.

After 3 macs, this has been the only one that I've had to take in [my PPC Macmini is 'facilitating' my backup as MBP is in Target disk mode]. Any other suggestions before I take it in for an Apple repair first-timer?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would since hard drive replacements for that model were not considered user replaceable.

Nope, you'll get the logic board that seemingly prone to failure.

3. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

You'll want to take the 500GB drive out and put the old Apple drive in. The hard drive was a non-user replaceable part and, therefore, voids your warranty. The hard drive was a non-user replaceable part for all non-unibody MBPs.

Good luck and let us know about the logic board (i.e., if they provide a different GPU)!

-Habitus

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Don't swap it out, no need. I have had my laptop looked at with a swapped hard drive in. No problems, wasn't even brought up.

So far I have had my top case replaced, display replaced and HD swapped out (weird story) all with HD I put in myself.

No one to my knowledge has had warranty work refused due to swapping out a HD.

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

That's good to know! Thanks!

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Thats been my experience, so do take it with a grain of salt. However I haven't heard of anyone being denied warranty work for swapping out the HD, unless they broke something while doing it.

7. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I took my 2006 MBP in with a HDD and crucial ram and didn't get any slack from App. The Genius said if the problem revolves around either RAM or HDD that I would need to switch it back to what it game with for diag.

Make sure you document what parts you did upgrade before taking it into shop. Thats what the Genius had me do.

8. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Well to be honest its only ok until you come in contact with the wrong Genius! so be weary when you take your computer in. Personally I would make it manufactures spec before bringing it in for any kind of service work.

Cheers!

9. Mac.Genius macrumors newbie

Exactly. If you get a genius that is in a bad mood or is feeling stingy, they will catch it and void your warranty. IMO, it isn't worth the risk. Unscrew the 10 or so screws and put the correct hard drive back in.

10. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

You're taking a huge risk with HIS computer ... :rolleyes:
    If it isn't supposed to be replaced by the user, this can definitely void the AppleCare, your experience or not.

11. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Just my experience and I haven't read on here anyone losing their warranty over it. When I brought it in the genius made a comment about it, but then said if I didn't damage anything it was fine.

Have any examples of people losing their warranty over changing their hard drive? Whats your experience with them denying warranty work?

12. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

There a specific user upgradables that do not void the warranty. Some such items are HD, and Ram.

13. Fox11 thread starter macrumors member

I brought the MBP in today- I just went ahead and swapped the old HD back in (only took about 30 min, start to finish). The swap was a lot easier than I remembered- I think just the idea of cracking my laptop wide open like that traumatized me :p

Apple Genius ran a diagnostic, came back positive for GPU failure (no GPU found!) and he assured me that the new 'revised' logic board that they'll be installing (for free, of course) has fixed the issue. *crosses fingers* I'm still taking that assurance with a grain of salt- has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with the revised boards?

Weird note: The operating system came back 10.5.8 even though my old HD is still Tiger (huh.) Wonder why that is?

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm just saying that I wouldn't take the risk.

This statement is valid for the new MBPs. In his specific model the hdd was not user replaceable