Taking MBP to Britain

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGuy1980, Apr 7, 2009.

1. AppleGuy1980 macrumors member

I'm taking my MBP to Britain for the next couple of months (I live in America). I assume that with the voltage difference I can't just plug it in there. Does Apple sell a different power brick that will work over there? If so, how do I get one? Thanks

2. lscangus macrumors 6502

the power brick is 100 - 240V. So you will be fine :)

Angus

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Everythings the same, you'll notice your MBP charges much faster over here, because we have better power supply's, also obviously you'll need a pin converter for all your electrical devices, but radio shack etc sell them for like $4, or any airport sells them.

4. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

just buy a pin converter, itll charge faster there b/c its higher voltage im pretty sure.

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

eh? the voltage shouldn't make any different to the speed it charges, the powerbrick is a switch-mode supply.

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Another one of your rubbish opinions.

7. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

lol @ "better power supply's"

8. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

and as if the MBP battery is able to accept the 1.5kW limit available from a north american socket...

This isn't a Tesla Roadster battery we're talking about!

If you're gonna be there for a while and you wanna be super slick, you can go and get an ipod charger that'll come with an Apple made adaptor that slots onto your brick. I got one of these cause I needed the ipod charger anyways.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just buy an adapter and you won't have any issues.

:rolleyes:

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

And just another of your pointless posts :rolleyes:

I was being sarcastic, but i guess that was lost on you, however they do charge faster over here, and in most of Europe, its noticeable too and a lot of people comment on how slow their MBP's charge in the US, i dont know why, my physics lecturer explained why once and showed us some articles online, i'll try to find them.

11. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

if you can find said articles, i would be highly interested to learn of the magic they are referring to.

to put it basically your 'brick' accepts and input 100v-240v limited to 1.5A and has a maximum output of 85W. Even at 110V, your input is still 165W. The doubling of the current makes no differences in this application because there is always enough power for the output.

i for one think jjahshik32 was on the money.

12. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

This is probably an over simplification but it is, broadly speaking, correct.

If you halve (roughly) the voltage across a particular system with a fixed (volts) x (amps) rating, such as a laptop power supply, you double (roughly) the current through it. However, the power is not related directly to the current, but to its square. This means that, if the voltage is halved for a particular power supply and laptop combination, the current can only increase by a factor of 2 and so the power output is reduced. The noticeable effect of this is an increase in charging time.

Here endeth the lesson! :cool: