Taking more pictures

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Mar 6, 2017.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

I mainly got a 7+ for the larger/better screen, additional RAM, and bigger battery. The dual camera did intrigue me and I thought I might take more pictures with it. As with any smartphone I get, the camera is an important factor when purchasing although once the novelty wears off I don't use the feature. Other than pictures and videos of my toddler I rarely launch the camera.

Conversely I have friends and family that take pictures all the time of the most mundane things. Just because they find it interesting. I never think to pull my camera out for a these things.

How often do you use your camera and for what?

2. blaine07 macrumors 65816

I have 12,000 pictures on phone at moment; I use it a lot for those funny kid moments and equally as much for work.

3. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Personally...very little camera use. Selfies are stupid and I don't subscribe to them. Ymmv.

But the camera is a major component for a majority of phone users so of course we expect improvements every year.

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I agree. As much as I love the dual camera on my my 7+, I don't use or take that many pictures. Even though I think it's a great new feature. And I hate selfie's.

5. BigMcGuire, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017

BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I take a lot of pictures. I've always taken a lot of pictures (even before the days of smartphones) with a Canon point & shoot eventually upgrading to a DSLR. I'm 100% hobbyist and other than a handful of years on Flickr I've never shown my work. I see my photography as a journal - reminder of what I did during the day.

When cellphones came out, I started using my cellphone as my second brain. Whiteboards at college? Pretty sun-set/rise? Happy work event? Birthday party? Work Progress Sheet? Visit to LA Natural History Museum? Car's ODO hitting 100k? I take pictures of everything and anything. A favorite part of Google Photos is telling me what photos I took X years ago on this day. I usually do a quick Day One journal entry every day - taking tons of photos helps me recount what I did earlier in the week and allows me to put pictures in my entries.

I try not to be obnoxious about it and I mostly do it for myself. Selfies are stupid and I never understood them. I know I'm ugly, why would I want to remind myself of that? I wake up to my ugly self every morning in the mirror. Besides, I take photos to remember where I've been and what I've done.

When my wife and I were dating super long distance (Peru to USA) - pictures helped a lot. I got to show her what I did during the day and she the same - helped a lot.

6. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I haven't had the opportunity to really utilise the dual lense camera on my 7 plus but I do take a lot of pictures, mainly of my son who is 10 months old.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

A lot of the pictures I take are to show something that I reference in a post on Mac Rumors. Others are pics taken at the store to show my wife what her choices are between products. My dad was a big picture taker, often invading privacy or forcing my sister and I to participate. Consequently, we aren't big picture takers. But anything that is important is backed up somewhere else for safekeeping.

I could lose every picture I have in my camera roll and it wouldn't matter.

8. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

And then there are those moments where you really want to start taking pictures with a newborn or that specific vacation, then it really comes in handy. I look at it like you don't have to use the dual camera for everything, but when you do use it, you really do appreciate what it has to offer.

9. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

As someone who HATES his picture being taken with a passion, I usually avoid taking photos of people unless I have their verbal permission... and I hate asking permission so I don't take photos of people very often, lol. 80% is probably things, landscapes, objects, etc...

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah…my dad. Sigh.

Had to take a pic of everything and since we were family and he was the parent (adult) he 'automatically' had our permission. The the double whammy came when we had to sit and view all the pictures he took! It got to the point by the time my sister and I were in our late teens that we just ignored him. He got whatever he got.

I'll snap what I think is important though. New baby, first steps, first day of Kindergarten, graduation, etc, etc. But just to be taking pics? No one, least of all me, wants to take pics of the daily sit on the couch in the front room.

11. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

LOL that's horrible! Never understood people who do that. lol.

12. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Got about 5,500 pics stored currently

Use it a fair bit certainly when going on nice walks.

13. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I have 10,244 pics and I said I wasn't using it much lol

14. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I average 800 a month. I use the Google Photos Free Up Space option every month (deletes local copy) so my iCloud and iTunes backups aren't massive. I have OneDrive and Amazon Prime Photos backing up my photos as well. Google Photos says I have 87,628 photos and videos (from 2003 to today).

15. blaine07 macrumors 65816

Glad I'm not the only one backing up pics to every reliable place known to man. Use all you mention and have a FTP at home I mass send all media to every other day or so as it backs up almost instantly and I have a local copy of uncompressed images and video.

16. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I've decided to back up to more than one place now. I have pictures of my kid now that I wouldn't want to loose. I'm using iCloud, just enabled google photos and will use amazon as I have a prime account that I wouldn't want to loose.

17. blaine07 macrumors 65816

Doesn't hurt anything that's for sure!

18. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

How many of those are duplicates?

For some reason it annoys me when looking at a friends camera roll trying to find a photo only to have to scroll through dozens of identical photos because they didn't take the time to select the best one and delete the rest.

19. blaine07 macrumors 65816

Some; not a horrendous ratio though. But yea I know what you mean.